Can insurance companies tell if you have had a remap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spannah

Reaction score
Guys,

i was on another audi forum and someone asked the above question, and they guy who replied said, yes they will know.

my question is how? do they come round with a vagcom? or bring ur car to a rolling road?

has anyone ever experienced an insurer coming round to ur house to do random checks on ur car?

I don't think they would check to be honest! I told mine but thats because it was free! I never told them on my MK4 because I thought it was completely undetectable but in all honesty aslong as the original ECU was in place I would have thought they'd be happy!

I have read of cases on other forums where it has been checked.
Not declaring mods is a risk, if they did check can you afford to loose your car for the sake of a few quid extra when insuring.
For me i declare everything.
Nik.

You could always plead ignorance if/when anyone asks!!

"I didn't know it was remapped...honest!"

"Lowered suspension?....What does that do?"

Be careful when shopping for insurance quotes, if you enter on a web site that the car has been tinkered with but then don't declare it when you buy a policy, they may get suspicious.

I hope you lot are joking! If an insurance company decides you're not insured in the event of an accident that also opens you up to other issues than just loosing your car. If you can't afford the insurance don't do it IMO.

god_thats_quick said:
I hope you lot are joking! If an insurance company decides you're not insured in the event of an accident that also opens you up to other issues than just loosing your car. If you can't afford the insurance don't do it IMO.

I agree, what's the point cheating in life? What's wrong with original spec anyway?

Sussex Lad said:
What's wrong with original spec anyway?

A 225bhp S3 with its heavy weight will be embarrased by alot of 'slower' cars, so people add to it, the standard S3 spec blows more than any of my ex girlfriends!

As for the bloke asking if they would know, bear in mind insurance companys pay people to search forums looking for cars with the reg numbers etc incase the owners are boasting about what they had done to thier cars (same way that they sometimes have reps at trackdays checking to see if a cars being used for what it shouldnt, they see you spin it on the track and clip a board, then you claim for some damage done in Asdas carpark... they will get you)

Status
Not open for further replies.