JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

brakes on A3 1.8TQ

I'm getting it chipped soon and I wanted to know if the standard brakes are up
    to the job with the car putting out around 210-220bhp

Also will getting chipped effect the reliability of the engine?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: brakes on A3 1.8TQ

Standard brakes are okay for road use if you are going to drive really hard or use the car on track you would be better upgrading the brakes too. Loads of guys have their car remapped/chipped on here and there have been very few problems - the 1.8T is a good reliable strong engine that can take a lifetime of abuse!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

thats what I wanted to hear [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

I can certainly vouch for the engine putting up with a lifetime of abuse, with 24k miles under my belt since buying the car I have not let up on it at all....and she's still going strong.

Brakes were one thing which I had to change as I had no confidence in the standard set-up after suffering from severe fade on many occasions, and then finally warped discs, which gave me the perfect excuse to upgrade.

5th Gear

Status

Gotta agree with Gambba there, the 1.8T holds up GREAT when taken care of [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I had my '01 TQ chipped at 100k kms and she's been just wonderful for the 36k kms since [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Brakes ARE an issue, esp since the Quattro's a bit heavier. But I've gone for the Cheap ([censored]) approach and simply installed ATE Powerdisc brakes (Which are OEM brake discs, but grooved) and stainless brake lines. The discs helped a bit, on wet roads especially, but TBH are wearing a bit faster than anticipated (About 1/2 gone after approx. 35k kms) HOWEVER, the steel brake lines have made a BIG difference [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] So I'd personally recommend them first [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

wouldn't mind some nice new calipers and discs, any suggestions?