seats query

jmr

craving an A3
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so hi! I'm not yet an Audi owner - trying to sell my Mercedes A140 as we speak, and am desperate to get my hands on an A3 as my next car.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the Alcantra Suede interior seats are like? They look like velour! *shiver* They don't look as nice as some of the others, but sellers still label them as 'sports seats'... There are a few cars out there with seats that look more sporty, and more comfortable with larger side bits (forgive me, for my brain won't give me the correct term for the 'side bits' of the seat) and they look to be half leather.

Could anyone tell me if the suede seats are nice or not? And if they're comfy?

Thanks guys!

Jodie

I've got full leather in mine. However the Alcantara (as is called) is more grippy than full leather, so if you are driving enthusiastically, there is less sliding around in the seats. Oh, and the side bits are called bolsters.

In terms of downsides, the bright colours can get a bit dirty, and also the Alcantara can bobble a bit (like a fleece or a wooly jumper). Some people have resorted to 'de bobbling' using one of those electric jumper shavers.

...but this is all S3 talk jmr, and me thinks you are looking for an A3? In which case you'd be lucky to even see the leather seats...

I've got half leather recaros with blue alcantara at the moment. I much prefer them to the standard sports seats i had in the old A3. The recaros do hold you in the seat more, and the alcantara does keep you in the seat. They are definately much better, They're 7 years old, 56k miles and have no marks or bobbles.

I did slide about a bit in the leather sports seats in my old A3 1.8TS and passengers did comment on the fact that they were slidey (and i wasn't hammering it!) but they're still fairly good, comfortable and miles better than the standard seats.

Thank you guys! Such quick responses :anbet:

Yes I am looking at getting the bog standard A3, 51 reg or newer.

Most of the cars have the suede interior that has the smaller bolsters (kudos jason :icon_thumright: ) but some do have seats that appear to be half leather (well, someone advertised them as half leather anyway, but it's hard to tell from the pics.) In general style they are very similar to the normal material seats. I'm wondering if they maybe are part of a sport styling (is there an s-line type with these older a3's?)

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=663212854
\ you can see the corner of a seat here! /

Sorry for the challenge guys, but now i've seen those half leather ones, my heart drops a little when I read 'suede alcantra' seats on a car advert! Having said that, you all seem to big up the suede, which is promising!

Jodie

i have cream/black alacantra interior and i think it looks superb it is grippy as said above and does bobble mines 2001 and is starting to bobble in the rear of the lower seat,but am very happy with them

There are two different models in the A3 the SE which has the Alcantara as standard which has the small bolsters, or the Sport which has a fabric as standard and the large bolsters. Leather was an option on both. I had a sport and found the seats great, more supportive than the ones on my S3 which are half leather and half alcantara but then maybe I'm too small to fill the seats on the S3 properly. Just remember that if you get leather it will be cold in winter (unless you get heated seats) and hot in summer.