Another new member, tempted by an S3...

yalden

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Having had a quick flick around, this seems like a pretty well educated site so I thought best to register and make a post regarding my queries!

I've been under BMW ownership for the best part of 3 years now, I love my 3-series coupe (click for pics) but I am tempted by something new!

The S3 (2000> facelift) has it's appeal visually, although not a coupe it has great lines/stance. I'm sure it's also a great drive and well built. My concerns fall around certain issues;

- How prone are the water pumps/cambelts to failing?

- How tuneable are the engines? A friend has a 1.8T golf with jabbasport remap and dyno plot showing 260bhp, the delivery was great but it lacked top end torque, undoubtadly due to the small displacement.

- What PCD and offset is recommended from the factory?

- Driven sensibly, what MPG can I expect on a run?

- Were there any large recalls that I should check have been carried out?

I'm sure I've missed out many of my intended questions, so I may add more later,

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Welcome and good luck finding an S3. They are pretty solid motors and assuming they have been looked after you shouldn't have too many problems. They do have a few common faults which can be repaired relatively cheap. Temp sensor, MAF, Coilpacks to name a few. The cambelt is recommended to be changed 5yr/60k and make sure you get the water pump changed at same time. Driving sensibly will return about 25-30mpg and tuning wise, a remap will give you 260-270bhp. £6000 will get you about 350bhp, but then you'll need bigger brakes, better suspension etc. There's a buyers guide at the top with a bit more information and do a search, there's been loads of these type of questions asked.

That a nice coupe mate i saw the mag feature, i would have a look at the buying guide it was quite informative before i bought mine good luck with the search mate

I recommend you go out and test drive one first, I think you will find the chassis and handling of an S3 pretty numb coming from your E36, but it will be planted on the ground in wet conditions. Don't let this put you off though, as they are a great all rounder really, just not the super Hatchback the 'S3' badge suggests, but nothing a few tweaks and mods can't sort out, which, judging from the pics of your beemer, is the route you will be taking. :)

Does the "S" stand for Sport? I always thought it stood for Sloppy. Like JoJo says its a nice car but I think a little more thought could have gone into it before it exited the workshop

mines is for sale mate see in the classifieds

Silver 51 plate facelift, 65,000 miles full swevice history. timing belt and New metal water pump done at 61,000 miles. Standard bar stainless cat back exhaust. 10months mot 4 months tax. Black leather interior. usual s3 spec ie xenons, climate control ect

£9500