How much does your S3 cost you?

andy2

Reaction score
Hi I'm new on here and looking to buy an S3 some time in this summer.

Currently I'm driving a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo but I'm looking for something thats going to stand up to the much higher mileage that I'm now doing.

To be fair the Fiat is very quick (which I'll probably miss) and has never let me down in three years of ownership, but I've always liked the look of the S3. I went for a drive in an 02 S3 at the local Audi dealer a few weeks back and even though its not quite as rapid and characterful as the Fiat, its seems a more rounded overall package.

I reacon that on average the Fiat has cost me around £1,200 a year in maintainence/servicing costs, and ideally I'd like to reduce this figure a little. So the question is:

How much do you think your (unmodded) S3 costs you on an annual basis?

How many miles a year do you drive?
Are you excluding petrol, insurance, road tax etc?

Probably about 16-17k a year. I'm not worried too much about fuel economy, insurance etc, since the Fiat will certainly cost more on all counts in that department.

Its just the expected (and unexpected) costs of routine servicing and keeping the car in tip top condition that I'm interested in.

So in other words what I'm looking for are the costs excluding petrol, tax, insurance etc

:)

andy2 said:
I reacon that on average the Fiat has cost me around £1,200 a year in maintainence/servicing costs, and ideally I'd like to reduce this figure a little. So the question is:

How much do you think your (unmodded) S3 costs you on an annual basis?

£1200 quid a year !! My mate had one and it was in the garage more than on the road lol so I see why you want out.

£250 a year for a non Audi (better) service
£350 at Audi.

Ins depending on age but I'll bet its cheaper than your current car

Tax 2002< £180 2003> £210 I think..

Get it Chipped and you'll wonder why you ever bothered and not mentioning badges,build quality and ariston

:icon_thumright:

Thanks Dave,

I'll miss the Fiat big time when it goes but its been a bit like a high maintainence girlfriend - wonderful and eager to please during the good times, but a pain in the **** when something goes wrong.

I'm hoping that the Audi should prove to be more of a car that I don't need to worry too much about. A bit more robust perhaps without niggling things going wrong all the time. What do you think ???

I think you can be lucky or unlucky with cars, on the whole it s/be cheaper than the Fiat to run I would have thought and you wont be paranoid about the oil pressure gauge all the time.

The s3 is not as exciting as the Fiat - nothing until 2.5k then woosh if i remember correctly.....oh and the noise of the S3 cant compare to the 20vT Fiat - that and the accelaration made me buy one, I'd done my homework and bought a good one (cam belt, clutch, radiator, oil cooler/pipes all done) but I got fed up with it after coming from German cars and part-ex'd at a great loss against a GT tdi golf after 5 weeks of ownership.........trust me the S3 is soooo much better than the Fiat - you'll love it.

:o.k:

In the past six months I have shelled out the following

4 x Tyres: £328.76
1 x Battery: £76.38
2 x PS oil: £13.37
1 x MAF: £100.35
5 x 1 LTR engine oil: £41.98
1 x Rear Wiper Repair kit: £26.13
1 x Samco TIP: £103.13
2 x Samco Boost Hoses: £155.95
JCS Hose Clamps: £34.27
1 x Aircon recharge: £80.00
1 x Radiator Fan inc Fitting: £181.81
1 x Cambelt,Water Pump, 20k Service inc Oil, Filters + Fitting of TIP etc: £770.00
1 x CC Phase1 Remap: £442.00

My car is a 02 S3 BAM engine with 153,000 on it.

Next year it ain't going to be so steep as it is just oil change and filters that'll I'll do myself.

Problem is a new clutch and flywheel is needed soon....

Make sure you find one that has had all the major components changed recently, that way you will avoid the big bills and just have to worry about basis servicing.

Thanks guys,

Hopefully going to get a fairly late S3 - maybe an 02 or 03 with 40-50k on the clock. I guess at that age there should still be plenty of life left in the major components like clutch, suspension, cooling system etc?

Am I right in thinking that the S3's are usually free from niggling little faults that spoil the fun?

I've had enough of those with the Fiat to last a lifetime so I'm really after a performance car that I can service regularly, but between services not have to worry too much about it?