A3 Upgrades

can7ona

Reaction score
Hey,

I've had my A3 Sport ('99 model) for a few weeks now and want to start upgrading a few things but have no idea how to do them... For starters I wanted to change the gear knob but can't get the old one off... anyone got any ideas? Also... I'd like to fit an armrest but can't find anyone who stocks them... And finally... I've installed an Alpine head unit in the car and want to put in some new speakers (and maybe an amp and then sub later)... Anyone got any ideas on which ones... And what sizes will fit without too much hassle (the head unit was a nightmare to fit!)...

Thanks

5ham

Hi there,

I've recently got an identical model to yours, and just replaced the front speakers in the door cards, which you can fit 13cm speakers in with the use of an AUTOLEADS adaptor, Furthermore, if you have any queries about audio, if you refer to the I.C.E thread they'll be links on how to remove the front door card and how to replace rear speakers and what sizes etc etc. Hope this is of use to you.

So how come your headunit was a nightmare? I haven't yet received the clips to fit mine, but some advance warning would be great.

Regards Matt.

[ QUOTE ]
5HAM said:
Hey,

I've had my A3 Sport ('99 model) for a few weeks now and want to start upgrading a few things but have no idea how to do them... For starters I wanted to change the gear knob but can't get the old one off... anyone got any ideas? Also... I'd like to fit an armrest but can't find anyone who stocks them... And finally... I've installed an Alpine head unit in the car and want to put in some new speakers (and maybe an amp and then sub later)... Anyone got any ideas on which ones... And what sizes will fit without too much hassle (the head unit was a nightmare to fit!)...

Thanks

5ham

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.. Gearstick is a piece of p1ss. unclip (pull up!) the gaitor from the lower trim, and the fram and the gaitor should release from the car, and pull over the tp o the gear knob. The knob is held on by a clip which you need to prize off with a pair of pliers, or cut it off. Then the whole thing just pulls right off.

I have a momo knob and gaitor on my A3, which looks much better than the standard crappy thing. You will, however, need to vut down the gear stick otherwise its like driving a damn bus. I removed approx 2" off of mine. I used the lowere fram for the gaitir in the new gaitor so it clipped into place like the original one, and it works well. let me know if you need any pics or anything.

Speaker wise, MB Quart are VERY good. Excellent quality, and not too expensive!

Rich

Thanks... Re gearstick do you mean the silver clip? I ended up ripping the top part of the gaitor when I first tried taking it off so now I really do want to change the damn thing...

Re speakers... Just had a legacy amp and DB sub fitted... Sounds perfect for what I wanted... will wait a while before upgrading the other speakers!

Thanks again

5ham

RichA3Turbo

Tried taking the gearstick off... thats ok... BUT... the momo gearstick I want to put on wont fit properly (due to the fact that the gearstick has to go down to get into reverse!)... would really appreciate some pics and more instructions if u can...

Thanks

5ham

Dont need a special knob for push down reverse...only for liftup reverse cos push down is done on the gearstick shaft so no problems there.

With the MOMO knob, you get rubber adaptors which make the diameter of the shaft fit the knob.. find the correct one and stick it on, then shove the knob on, and tighten up the grub screws. Obviosuyl, if you have the momo gaitor that screws onto the knob, put this over the gearstick first, aswell as the original base plate. Sorry, dont have any pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:

I'm sure Rich will correct me if I'm wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose my opening line showed that i had a feeling I'd be wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Cheers guys... will have another go but when we used the adaptors the gear wouldn't move down at all! Thanks for the help!