Electronic Counter Measures!!

S3DBW

Reaction score
With the ever increasing rise in income revenue sites across the country I was thinking about investing in some form of electronic counter measures.

Having done a bit of research into the subject I have found that there is potentially an issue with the laser/radar detecting capabilities of some units with Solarglass. So the question is simply, is this type of glass fitted to the Audi's?. Or can anyone provide practical experience that these units will function OK thru the windscreens of our pride and joys?

ive had no problems getting gps signal through the windscreen.

infact even through the dashboard too as my antenna is hidden underneath the dash.

if i added anything, id probably look at a "garage door opener." ala LRC100

for now geodesy will do.

It will depend on what type of glass you have. On some cars, most notably BMW's & Merc's fitted with the optional "comfort" or "climate screens" the metallic coating on the glass disrupts the GPS and/or radar signals from getting to the device. The way around this for items such as the Roadpilot/Geodesy is to move the antenna to the rear parcel shelf.

Wasn't so much the GPS capabilities as this seems to be unafected, it was more for those units which can also detect radar/laser from mobile sites

For full protection you really need both a GPS based device and a laser diffuser.

GPS based device for two reasons:
1. SPECS and Truvellos are becoming more and more common, and the only way you can warn of their location is to use GPS.
2. Standalone radar detectors make great cashpoint/petrol station/pedestrian crossing detectors, and the GPS system can be set so that you are only warned when your speed is over a certain threshold, significantly reducing false alarms.

Laser detectors are a complete waste of time. There is very little scatter from a laser gun, so the chances are if you hear a warning, you've already been knicked. The only way you can defeat them is to prevent them getting a lock on in the first place.

There are two laser jammers available the Snooper SLD-920 and the Lidatek LRC-100. I prefer the Lidatek for three reasons:
1. Rather than use LEDs the device actually uses the same Gallium Arsenide laser as the LTI 20-20, which is the most frequently used gun in the UK.
2. If it is tagretted, it emits a jamming signal for a short period, and then reverts to passive mode (it warns that you've been zapped but doesn't jam again until it resets) I can't remember the time period for jam/passive off the top of my head.
3. the LRC-100 is all contanied in a single unit which mounts under the numberplate, the SLD-920 consists of two jammers.

Radar detector. I can't remember the last time I saw a radar gun or mobile gatso in my area as the police are all using laser now.

The preferred weapon of choice where I live is either hand held units or mobile cameras, so while a GPS unit is handy for holidays etc, its of little use in the highlands