Clonking noise from wheels on full lock

2low4u

Reaction score
Ive just bought a 2001 S3 with 77k on the clock, when i test drove it i noticed a very slight grinding/clonking noise coming from the wheels that i could feel though the steering wheel on full lock when cold.

It only does it when the car is cold and for the first 1 or 2 turns (only right hand turns also). i have also noticed a slight oily substance on the passenger side wheel. Experience suggests it could be a CV boot/joint, but this would be a permanent issue, and the clonking noise only happens when the car is stone cold for some reason.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Had a similar sound from a couple of issues so try these two things first that are very easy to do.

1. Check your power steering fluid (in the engine, under the left hand cover with a small dark green cap) had an issue with noisy squeaking on either lock, transpired that the fluid was empty.

2. Check Haldex, driver full lock in reverse both ways (not hand braking it just reversing round a corner scenario), if you can't i.e. you get half way round your haldex is fubar - had the same issue. You can reverse to a stage, build up the power and then BANG it'll reverse then locak again...

Otherwise like you say, Check your CV Boot etc, whip off the wheels and have a look. You have a jack so it'll only be a 5 min job. If it has come apart and is dripping then you do want to get it sorted asap as you don't want all this grime and dirt screwing it up.

Failing that steering rack, bearings, top mounts or bushes...

jesters3 said:
Had a similar sound from a couple of issues so try these two things first that are very easy to do.

1. Check your power steering fluid (in the engine, under the left hand cover with a small dark green cap) had an issue with noisy squeaking on either lock, transpired that the fluid was empty.

2. Check Haldex, driver full lock in reverse both ways (not hand braking it just reversing round a corner scenario), if you can't i.e. you get half way round your haldex is fubar - had the same issue. You can reverse to a stage, build up the power and then BANG it'll reverse then locak again...

Otherwise like you say, Check your CV Boot etc, whip off the wheels and have a look. You have a jack so it'll only be a 5 min job. If it has come apart and is dripping then you do want to get it sorted asap as you don't want all this grime and dirt screwing it up.

Failing that steering rack, bearings, top mounts or bushes...

Haldex oil/filter has just been done and it had a major service at 76k, things that were picked up were bushes etc, but this is a different knocking type sound other than bushes, and only happens when the car is cold not warm???

No its completely standard, its very intermittent and so far in 3 days of ownership it can only be identified when the vehicle is stone cold. Ive just been down to Chester Audi and have got it booked in for a check up, i reckon they'll tell me my CV boot has split (explaining the oil like substance on the wheel) and that my lower ball joints need replacing. The steering wheel has no large amount of play, Im no mechanic but most of my cars have had suspension bushes/cv joints dissolve on me so im fairly adapt at identifying that type of problem now!

What do you think the labour/parts charge will be on a CV boot? its a 1.5hr job.

thanks all!

if anything like down here £99+VAT per hour! You probably won't see change out of £300!

Also may be a sensible option if one has gone then the other should be looked at as well

I get the same feeling from my car, only happens when it cold and on full lock for the first 1-2 turns. Mine feels like something is catching the edge of the wheel or as if the wheel is hitting the wheel arch (which it isn't). I've been thinking of changing my steering fluid but I haven't gotten around to checking it.

Defratos said:
I get the same feeling from my car, only happens when it cold and on full lock for the first 1-2 turns. Mine feels like something is catching the edge of the wheel or as if the wheel is hitting the wheel arch (which it isn't). I've been thinking of changing my steering fluid but I haven't gotten around to checking it.

exactly like mine, only the first 1 or 2 turns!

The thing that worries me is the oily substance is greasy not gooey, suggesting maybe a seal has gone on the driveshaft or the diff, and not the CV boot?

Yep mine does it aswell! I have had the car up in the air and cant find anything wrong i.e bushes, balljoints. Only does it like you say when the car is stone cold! Defo a strange one.

My A4 1.8TQS does it, only noticed it first thing in the morning when its cold, when its warm it goes away, just had a major service on my car and everything was fully inspected. Just one of those things I suppose

If its the cv joint get it from audi exchange unit, I tried gsf and andrew pages and both they supplied were wrong. Audi is about £110 all in joint , boot the lot. Then get a local garage to fit it if you don`t feel up to the job.

I've got the exact same problem and it's both full lock to left and right as I get into car or after being on the motorway for a bit.

THought was my suspension so spent £600 going from coilovers to Spring/damper setup but it's still there.

Garage checked everything but couldn't get it to click when it was over the pit, only when driving it ino garage. They had car for a few days too! He said to give it a couple of weeks then he's going to replace the ARB bushes and see if that helps.

Anyone any closer to finding out what this is? My car's a 2000 1.8TQ