My fault codes. What do they mean?

ash_s3

Reaction score
Just used my mates vagcom on my S3 and it threw up these faults, any ideas what they are?

VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Chassis Type: 8L - Audi A3/S3
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,22,35,37,45,54,55,56

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8N0 906 018 J
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0004
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 01236
WAUZZZ8L721000*** AUZ7Z0A18*****
2 Faults Found:
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
P0011 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal
P0321 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 03 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V005
Coding: 18448
No fault code found.

Address 08 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8L0 820 043 J
Note: Excessive Comm Errors

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 17 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8L0 920 980 R
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D07
Coding: 01444
Shop #: WSC 00779
WAUZZZ8L72100**** AUZ7Z0A18*****
No fault code found.

Address 22 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 02D 900 554 B
Component: HALDEX LSC ECC 0006
No fault code found.

Address 35 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8D0 862 257 E
Component: CV-Pump, Alarm, RC D17
Coding: 15178
2 Faults Found:
01367 - Central Locking Pump Run Time Exceeded (Likely Leak)
35-00 - -
01370 - Alarm triggered by Interior Monitoring
35-00 - -

Address 45 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4B0 951 173
Component: Innenraumueberw. D03
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 00000
No fault code found.

Address 55 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4B0 907 357
Component: LEUCHTWEITEREGLER D004
Coding: 00014
No fault code found.

Address 56 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8L0 035 152 B
Component: chorus II GRO 0004
Coding: 00202
No fault code found.

End -------------------------------------------------------

Can't be too sure about the camshaft advance. Perhaps a problem with the VVT servo?

G28 speed sensor must be okay, otherwise the engine wouldn't run. Maybe an old code that hasn't been cleared.

Don't worry about the alarm ones too much.

I'd clear them, go for a drive and then re-check.

HTC said:
Can't be too sure about the camshaft advance. Perhaps a problem with the VVT servo?

G28 speed sensor must be okay, otherwise the engine wouldn't run. Maybe an old code that hasn't been cleared.

Don't worry about the alarm ones too much.

I'd clear them, go for a drive and then re-check.

yea did that mate, cleared them off, went for a drive, about 6miles with varied driving. re-scanned and no faults were found at all. going to give it a run this week and re-scan it next weekend to see what happens!

Thanks

Still got these faults

Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal

Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Are they related? Is the engine speed sensor something to do with the camshaft position sensor?

Any idea how i get to it? Where it is and is it easy to change? DIY?

Ive cleared them a few times and they keep coming back. Getting a stuttering at 6k rpm in every gear. Want to get it changed asap.

Cheers
ash

Engine Speed Sensor is a fairly common fault, it's related to the crankshaft sensor I think. My A4 1.8T had the same problem where the car used to conk out randomly, until one day it just wouldn't start at all, it just kept turning over.

It's fairly easy to change, it's just held in place by a large bolt and the electrical connection.

Engine Speed Sensor is a fairly common fault, it's related to the crankshaft sensor I think. My A4 1.8T had the same problem where the car used to conk out randomly, until one day it just wouldn't start at all, it just kept turning over.

It's fairly easy to change, it's just held in place by a large bolt and the electrical connection.

Any idea on its location mate, i dont have a clue what id be looking for!
How much are they roughly? Cant find it on vagcat

Engine speed sensor circled in red on the lower front of the engine. Can be a fiddly one to get to. I found it easier to change mine from below.
Its probably called an impulse sensor in vagcat. Its about £70. If its dodgy, then that might be the cause of your missfires, which may in turn be effecting the cam position sensor. Either that or you are a tooth out on the cambelt.

enginespeedsensorky5.jpg

Thanks for that matey. Helpful picture!
Is there anyway i can find out if its faulty without buying a new one?

Car cut out tonight right at a junction!! Just slowly died as i was pulling up to it, tired re-starting but no joy, took about 3 attempts, eventually got going but sounding really rough and lumpy, gave it a few revs and it was fine, just as normal all the way home, 2nd time its done this now but last time was ages ago. Could this be to do with the sensor?? Intermittent fault?

thanks guys :thumbsup:

That will definitely be because of the engine speed sensor. Am I right in thinking that your EPC light might have been on too?

Source the part yourself from eBay USA (cheap as chips), and it's a fairly simple swap over. The part you need looks like this:

6e3f_1.JPG

Make sure it is compatible with the 1.8T engine, as there are a few others on the market.

That will definitely be because of the engine speed sensor. Am I right in thinking that your EPC light might have been on too?

Source the part yourself from eBay USA (cheap as chips), and it's a fairly simple swap over. The part you need looks like this:

6e3f_1.JPG

Make sure it is compatible with the 1.8T engine, as there are a few others on the market.

Thanks matey, just been scouring ebay actually and theres a few about, some not genuine ones.
Didnt notice the EPC light on but i was more worried about getting the ****** thing going and moved out of the junction!!
Looks an easy swap, seen some on the online VagCat too, would rather just buy a genuine one, i can get it at trade anyway.
Are they all the same for the 1.8T As theres 4 different part numbers on VagCat

Thanks for the help mate, much appreciated