Faulty glovebox/boot lights

koonl

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post to the forum, but have been skimming through for the past week since I bought my A3 Turbo privately last Friday. The car's great, and the help on the forum's is also fantastic. I have a few niggly problems with the electrics: both the boot lights and glove box lights are not working - replaced bulbs and fuses but still nothing. I believe Fuse 38 is for the boot, but manual doesn't say which one is the glove box, anyone know? People say the switch for the boot light is incorporated into the boot lock - is this true? Is this the first place I should look and how do I test it? The switch for the glove box looks ok, enough clearance between contacts when closed, and makes sufficient contact when opened. Anyone any ideas? Thanks to you all.

Koonl

Morning and welcome to AS.net.

Interesting one, if you have changed the bulbs and fuses then I guess some wiring maybe at fault between the connections. Had a look on the net but came back with little, if someone has ETKA (VAG Bible) they maybe able to find it for you or I guess I trip to the local stealer may be in need.

Cheers

depends on who your stealer is .. if its an audi dealer then yes they prolly will .. if not then I doubt it.

Had a similar prob with the boot light.........Audi found the problem to be the micro switch on the tailgate failing. They had to replace the whole lot inc mechanism as its an all in one unit.

Works fine now.

Might be worth unscrewing the glove box to check the terminals are still (properly) connected. It's a simple 5 minute check, costs nothing.

Also I had a problem with one of my boot lights after it had been to the dealer. Turned out they had removed the parcel shelf and failed to re-connect the wire again. Again it's another simple, free, 5 minute check.

Oh and welcome to the gang /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I dont know if it makes a difference but my glovebox light only comes on if my lights are on. The boot lights, however come on all the time.

Had exact same problem with my mk4 golf. VW changed the wiring under warrenty and it was fine.........till a week after the warrenty ran out and it happend again (sods law).

No idea!

Audi did mine under warranty and they had the car for most of the day..........they may have been on a break for most of that but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif