Pics of gloss black trim on grey S3 for anyone that is interested!

sajvr

www.westsidevw.co.uk
Reaction score
Website
www.westsidevw.co.uk
Here are a few pics as it seems there are lots of people that are undecided.
hope this helps.
DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00003-1.jpg

Players07S32.jpg

07102007089.jpg

Top marks for being original although I dont think I'd be brave enough to do that to mine.

on a grey car , grey trim just looked crap, at least on all other colours there is a contrast, hence why i done it black.
pics don,t really do it justice, looks better in the flesh.
Also not sure if anyone can see it but the roof is also gloss black

that looks very slick. how much would all that cost including the roof? :think: i wonder what it would look likeon my imola...

Not a fan to be honest i have a Dolphin grey S3 & i think the grey trim ties in nicely with the rest of the car.

lovely car, not a fan of the gloss black bits though....

no offence mattyboy and jon, not really looking for fans here but i,m glad you like the car....the purpose of this thread was for people like S3 Saf orJoe, who are possibly unsure but can get the chance to see if they like the look before they go ahead with a mod like this. i went for it as i knew what i wanted.., but not everyone is willing to push the boat or try something different. Personally i,m not looking for standard cars on this forum, thats how all our cars look when we get them..

S3Saf, i had my local bodyshop do it at a mates rate, but i would expect approx 500-600 pounds
I think it would look great on yellow or red.

not keen on the black myself but those wheels look very nice indeed!!
full respect for being original and like you say push the boat out.

Nice car mate

thanks randomjim...i saw your car at the surrey meet last year, did you also have a black roof?...love your A4, i,ll post a few pics you will appreciate
the night shot are 2 of my mates A4's..estates got black centres now and black roof
DSC00010.jpg

these pics are from my visit to Austria Worthersee, enjoy, if you like this kind of thing

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

The chrome RS6 look quite good with the silver mirrors on that S3! and the bad-boy and extended bonnet looks sweet too!
Also loving the S4 Avus 18" wheels :rockwoot:

18,s fronts 8.5 and rear 9.5.

Ess three...i was waiting for your response....glad your not a "fan" it ..i would hate think we had similar tastes...each to their own..

seriously guys....this post was meant to help those that are thinking about this look, not cause a load of i like it or i don,t like it type debate....it is what it is....thats what it looks like..if you like it do it, don't get put off by the guys that want cars to look "factory"....do what you want its your car enjoy it..

i hated my S3 as a standard car...it was crap, slow, didn,t handle and looked silly with skinny wheels and huge archs.....now it looks ok for a daily driver, its APRed, KW coilovers, Bailey DV...much better, but i still have much more fun in my Mk2 golf VR6....(turbo wip!)

sajvr said:
Ess three...i was waiting for your response....glad your not a "fan" it ..i would hate think we had similar tastes...each to their own..

Glad not to have disapointed, then.

Although, your taste must be similar to mine if that's yiour Mk2 in the bottom pic?

i hated my S3 as a standard car...it was crap, slow, didn,t handle and looked silly with skinny wheels and huge archs.....

Be careful...you'll get a reputation if you point that sort of thing out, on here.

but i still have much more fun in my Mk2 golf VR6....(turbo wip!)

That looks sweet...
What are the details on that bad boy?

Please, please STOP posting pictures of fat looking black Audis! Im facing the prospect of losing my black S4 as I need a derv for work and looking at those pictures is not helping!
I am so close to either keeping the S4, and getting raped by mpg and servicing costs, or leasing a Sportback derv!
*goes off to bed and cries*

Satin black, maybe, gloss black, doesn't look right to me.

Nice wheels. WHat tyres do you have on them front and rear?e

im not a fan of the gloss black either, each to their own...and glad ive seen the pics.... i'd like to see the bits in their original colour and change something else i think, until someone else comes up with another idea that could look good.... i personally cant think of another colour that would look as good on the grey car.

Would be interesting to see the black roof on the yellow though, reckon that'd look mint.......

Personally i think your car is one of the best S3'S Ive ever seen!

You would get alot of lovers on this forum though their very standard orientated.

Looks great though IMO.

Did you have any problems fitting the 9.5's to the rear?

J

Thanks for the comments, i hope it helps few people make their mind up.
I think Grey looks very bland without the contrast you get on other colours...on silver the dark grey has the same effect that black does on a dolphin grey...but hey its only a bit of paint on plastic..you can always change it back if you don,t like it.

Ess, i noticed the mk3 on the rollers...vr6?....i am bolting on a GT32 garret turbo with internal wastegate (for cleanliness), i have RHD cast manifold that allows the turbo to sit quite low down and clear the brake servo. Also got a golf Rallye intercooler (direct fit no messing around there!) i,m using a 1.5mm stainless steel haed gasket to lower the compression ratio, pipe work will be custom and i will stick to the original intake so the VR6 does not lose that sound!!lots of work, but i expect to have it finished by late summer. We have 2 guys in our club running similar set ups and the power is unbelivable..360+bhp at 15psi boost (1bar) and over 400lb torque....figures aside they are ****** fast cars on the road....personally i enjoy the building as much as the driving...its the only way to get away from her indoors ..LOL...wrong day for that comment!

Ess, here,s a closer look at the project car

Before mk2 VR6

DSC00108.jpg

the current engine
mania2006046.jpg

new wider arches fabricated in metal need to be painted once the turbo work is finished
DSCF0156.jpg

Big Brakes..need them!...Wheels were custom machined to clear the brembos..1mm clearance!
DSCF0154.jpg

When will we be seeing the Mk2 done for?
Would be nice to see both cars at the shows this year.

I have a Grey S3 and hats off to you for doing something different, think it looks good, but i really like those wheels! How much do you reckon a set like that would set me back?

i think it looks good i really want to do that if i spray my car white, loving the black roof, did you do half the spoiler also can't really tell from pics!

sajvr said:
thanks randomjim...i saw your car at the surrey meet last year, did you also have a black roof?...love your A4, i,ll post a few pics you will appreciate
the night shot are 2 of my mates A4's..estates got black centres now and black roof
DSC00010.jpg

these pics are from my visit to Austria Worthersee, enjoy, if you like this kind of thing

Oh cheers buddy, yea i remember seeing yours there too. You coming up to the meet in march? I haven't got a black roof on mine but i do love that look so maybe.

Yea i'm quite into the euro scene. My mates just bought a dolphin S3 an picked up the same or similar wheels as you've got. He's on here actually. Cars are almost twins.

sajvr said:
Ess, here,s a closer look at the project car

Nice car...
I was hoping you were keeping the black arch trims, as the previous pic shows them...but sadly, you aren't...
I'd determined to keep mine...I'll soon be exclusive by the fact that I still have them!

Looks to be a real beuaty...

sajvr said:
Ess, i noticed the mk3 on the rollers...vr6?

Nope...16v ABF. It is a proper Anniversary though...
Sitting at 190+ BHP...see below.

....i am bolting on a GT32 garret turbo with internal wastegate (for cleanliness), i have RHD cast manifold that allows the turbo to sit quite low down and clear the brake servo.

I didn't know a RHD turbo manifold was available...where did you find that?

Also got a golf Rallye intercooler (direct fit no messing around there!) i,m using a 1.5mm stainless steel haed gasket to lower the compression ratio, pipe work will be custom and i will stick to the original intake so the VR6 does not lose that sound!!lots of work, but i expect to have it finished by late summer. We have 2 guys in our club running similar set ups and the power is unbelivable..360+bhp at 15psi boost (1bar) and over 400lb torque....figures aside they are ****** fast cars on the road....personally i enjoy the building as much as the driving...its the only way to get away from her indoors ..LOL...wrong day for that comment!

I know what you mean about the building part...
What management are you using?

I have a mate with a low compression VR6T in a Rallye, full Gemini 6 speed 'box and diffs...lunatic quick...Stealth built the engine.
It's on DTA.

I had a Corrado 2.9 I'd been building for the Mk3...Blydenstein one-off big valve head (3mm bigger inlets, 2mm bigger exhausts) Ti retainers, lightweight lifters and valves, Schrick cams, Schrick manifold, big TB, lightened, fully ARP'd etc...but everytime I drove a VR6 I couldn't get over how bad they handled next to my 16v...and I just couldn't bring myself to fit the VR6 and spoil the cars handling.
So after 4 or 5 years of building, I sold the engine (it only had 11000 miles on it from new) to a mate of mine...and have plans for the Mk3.
The engine now lives in a stripped and caged Mk3, formerly a 16v.

Basically, the Mk3 handles well...I've got it set up really well (Koni coilovers, Eibach ARBs, poly bushes, aggressive geometry, 7" x 16" wheels, LSD, 3,94 FD etc)...but needs more go.
The engine has a Blydenstein head, Schrick cams, lightweight lifters, Ti retainers, ported manifolds, high flow cat, lightened flywheel etc...but despite running stand alone management, I can't get it over the magic 200 BHP mark.
So ITBs it has to be...
A set of jenveys and some cam swappage should see well over 200.
That's this Springs project.

I can only hope that a deep breathing ABF can get close to the sound of a VR6.

Love to hear what the ABF 16v sounds like....still a great engine...we have tried ITBs on these but it is so much work to get real big gains from a 16v, that it comes down to cost of doing a vr6 conversion.
I loved my car when it was a 16v..it drove so nice..but just was not quick enough...the Vr6 sound better , but yoy do lose that crispness from the handling....that is a major consideration as the handling is where you get to enjoy the car not straight line speed...but the VR6 sound...no question about how that puts a smile on your face.
I,m running Koni Coilovers, eibach antirollbars and brand new bushs, mounts, wishbones track rods...basically underneath the cars chassis is virtually brand new...even with the VR it still rides and handles well.
I have learnt from experience that a full on old school engine rebuild, cams, porting , big valves balanced crank etc (had it all in my Mk1 GTi.)..is so expensive that an engine swap produces more power and cost a lot less!...until you start messing with Turbo's!!!

This weekend i will post up dates of our 1st official Westsidevw Show and Shine event to be held at Chalfont St Peter in bucks on 7th September this year ...i am hoping we get approx 300-400 show cars on the ground and hundreds more in the car parks..everyone is welcome and in particular if someone wants to exhibit or enter our Show and Shine can find more details on our website www.westsidevw.co.uk

There will be an Audi class..so if you think your car is good enough you could be going home with a trophy..

There will be trade stands, autojumble and some of the best Custom Vag group cars in europe on display (not chaved up max power type cars...more Hotrod inspired custom cars!!)..and good food, a bit of music and generally a chilled out atmosphere...if anyone has been to Edition 38 show then you,ll get the idea.
It would be nice to see the best S3,s in the UK there.

Sitrials....yes the roof is gloss black and the spoiler follows the roof line with the black look.
I have to say that none really notices the Black roof until its pointed out as the reflection just disguises the black!!...but in a petrol station it really pops!....Audi do black roof cars themselves...so to all the purists..its almost a factory mod!!!..lol..

If you do you car white its gotta be the new vw mk5 white...very nice...and paint the roof black!!
Also FYI i saw an Audi R8 at Essen motorshow 2007 in a lovely Pearl White...not changing colour type...but it lokked like a fine mettalic white that almost glowed!!! you have to see it in the flesh to appreciate the colour

what make are the wheels pal? ive got the RH ZW4 split rims, look identical...

they are very rare wheels , in that i have never seen these on any other car before, as they are single piece but with the same "dish" as a 3 piece split rim...they are off my Porsche 944 Turbo...bought them 10 years ago!
Easy to clean, right width...just a nice rim. It is very similar to a Gemballa 18" cup 1....i have one as a spare.
RH,s are nice wheels, but the S3 has such big arch's you really need width or 19's to fill them...Its not the black S3 that was at Ultimate dubs last year?

sajvr said:
Love to hear what the ABF 16v sounds like....still a great engine...we have tried ITBs on these but it is so much work to get real big gains from a 16v, that it comes down to cost of doing a vr6 conversion.

Aint that the truth!
Luckily, I've already got most of the money sunk into the 16v to give good gains (everything bar the ITBs) so I'll live with the work involved.

Easier to bolt in the VR6 as you say...but a C VR6 gives 195 BHP and that's what I've got already...so there was the additional work involved in getting the lazy VR6 to scream and make more.
I wish I had the VR6 noise though...

I loved my car when it was a 16v..it drove so nice..but just was not quick enough...the Vr6 sound better , but yoy do lose that crispness from the handling....that is a major consideration as the handling is where you get to enjoy the car not straight line speed...but the VR6 sound...no question about how that puts a smile on your face.

Yup...I went one way, then the other for years...bought more bits, dragged the Mk3 into the garage...then drove a VR6 and lost interest.
Never mind...i've sold it now and my mate has it up and running...and sounding superb!

I just couldn't bear the thought od spoiling a well sorted car...and having to spend ages trying to get it to handle as sweet as it once did.
Ah well...

I,m running Koni Coilovers, eibach antirollbars and brand new bushs, mounts, wishbones track rods...basically underneath the cars chassis is virtually brand new...even with the VR it still rides and handles well.

Did you wide-track it?

I have learnt from experience that a full on old school engine rebuild, cams, porting , big valves balanced crank etc (had it all in my Mk1 GTi.)..is so expensive that an engine swap produces more power and cost a lot less!...until you start messing with Turbo's!!!

I hear ya!
Old school tuning is very expensive...

This weekend i will post up dates of our 1st official Westsidevw Show and Shine event to be held at Chalfont St Peter in bucks on 7th September this year ...i am hoping we get approx 300-400 show cars on the ground and hundreds more in the car parks..everyone is welcome and in particular if someone wants to exhibit or enter our Show and Shine can find more details on our website www.westsidevw.co.uk

Sounds like a good day out...

Is Alex still part of your crew?
I think his name is Alex...dark blue/black Mk2 with a 20vT.
I met him in the hotel got GTI Int'l a couple of years ago...that's another sweet Mk2.
I'm sure he was part of the Westside crew.

You know Alex.....wow small world , yes he is part of our club, in fact he now runs a car care business called Elite Car Care and sells some very high quality wax's , cleaners etc..basically similar stuff to polished bliss...i may be seeing him this weekend to pick up a Meguiars polisher.

i didn,t bother with the wide track, because the wheels i am running were very difficult to fit..in fact they are old Japanese Works wheels, porsche fitment that i split , had rims polished, chromed the bolts, had the centres machined to increase ET, then had the spokes machined to clear the brembos, then i swapped the rear drums (back part of 3 piece rim) from the front to the back to get 8x17 inch all round rather than 7.5 and 8.5....and modified Mercedes centre caps to fit.....i know there is no one else with these rims on a mk2 golf...hence no wide track...the rims would never clear the archs without all that work.

once it is finished it will look perfect..and not too far off original...good customising is when it looks like it rolled out of the factory that way.

sajvr said:
You know Alex.....wow small world , yes he is part of our club, in fact he now runs a car care business called Elite Car Care and sells some very high quality wax's , cleaners etc..basically similar stuff to polished bliss...i may be seeing him this weekend to pick up a Meguiars polisher.

Yeah, I've spoken to him...I met him in the car park of the Hotel in Ipswich we were staying at when GTI Int'l was at Bentwaters.

I was admiring his Mk2 when he came out...had a good chat. Lovely car...really nice work...and sounded better than most 20vTs.
Was tempted to lamp him one and make off with it! :laugh:

I doubt he will remember me...I had the Noggy S3 at the time on grey centres BBS RSIIs.

I didn't know that he runs Elite Car Care now...I've seen their adverts etc.

i didn,t bother with the wide track, because the wheels i am running were very difficult to fit..in fact they are old Japanese Works wheels, porsche fitment that i split , had rims polished, chromed the bolts, had the centres machined to increase ET, then had the spokes machined to clear the brembos, then i swapped the rear drums (back part of 3 piece rim) from the front to the back to get 8x17 inch all round rather than 7.5 and 8.5....and modified Mercedes centre caps to fit.....i know there is no one else with these rims on a mk2 golf...hence no wide track...the rims would never clear the archs without all that work.

Nice one!
Proper bespoke wheels...

once it is finished it will look perfect..and not too far off original...good customising is when it looks like it rolled out of the factory that way.

I know what you mean...
Make sure you post some pics once you've got it finished...I'd like to see the final result. :thumbsup:

sajvr said:
they are very rare wheels , in that i have never seen these on any other car before, as they are single piece but with the same "dish" as a 3 piece split rim...they are off my Porsche 944 Turbo...bought them 10 years ago!
Easy to clean, right width...just a nice rim. It is very similar to a Gemballa 18" cup 1....i have one as a spare.
RH,s are nice wheels, but the S3 has such big arch's you really need width or 19's to fill them...Its not the black S3 that was at Ultimate dubs last year?

No tis a silver one. not long had it. And wheels are 8.5" wide front, 9.5 rear...

So this is where you are spending alot of time recently....LOL, hopefully the Mrs's don't catch ya or she will have your gonads off in a jiffy

The S3 looks bang on in the flesh as the pics do not do it justice, yes it's a bold move but looks top class if the work is well executed.