Oh dear!! Will we all be going "Sonic"!!

simch

Reaction score
Guy I know with a sprint / race a3 has been doing some high speed testing at Silverstone.

His car as stock, (runs hybrid K04, 2wd) got to 146mph down hanger straight.
Then they fitted some "vortex generator" sonic the hedgehog fins on the top of the roof spoiler (it is a nothelle spolier one I think he said).

......151mph....!
Test repeated and consistently 3-4mph faster before the braking zone.
removed thenm and back to 146 and 147!

He is looking into whether they are legal for use as some championships do not allow the "silhouette" to change.

So anyone fancy going all sonic for a few mph.....? eeek

I didnt think that they were on there to make it go faster. More of high speed stability. I'm guessing it cleans up the air going over it which in turn means less drag at the back = higher top speed! See if he can start off a trend in the A3's!

would be intresting to see what this will look on an s3?

do 150mph often do you?

Well he doesn't, not without his sonics on!

He was amazed it made such a difference, as he say he had his previous max speed some near 400 yrds earlier on the straight.
The ones he tested were off ebay, just stuck on individually with double sided tape! If they are legal for his championship he may have a whole spoiler made with them integrated in carbon!

He is also testing a rear diffuser that one of the guys who does stuff for A1 gp cars is making for him! !

I can remember a mate turned up to a track day with some on his Ibiza. After he had had the p*** taken out of him all day he took them off. QED.

hmm. maybe get some for the front too? twice as fast :icon_thumright:

That is the problem, but they do seem to work, at least on his car.

jojo said:
Might aswell just Chav it up, plaster the whole car with these and 200MPH would be easy. :racer:

And why not some viper stripes too? Thats gotta be worth an extra 10Mph?

tbh its not really a scientific test and people wont really believe it as there could be many other factors ...

but seriously i heard go faster stripes make the wind scared and gets out of the way so you have an instant slip stream

Shades said:
And why not some viper stripes too? Thats gotta be worth an extra 10Mph?

I see now, so a couple off offset viper strips, plaster the rest of the car with these "vortex generator's", 10X 4" oval exhausts and a handful of resistors, job done..... oh and fold the back seat down was it?. :racer:

they create less drag when going over the spoiler i heard cuts through the air and reduced the swirling back draft you get very clever and yes they come on the EVO 8 FQ400 (the silly quick one!) but none the less very chavy!

benr said:
but seriously i heard go faster stripes make the wind scared and gets out of the way so you have an instant slip stream

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Woah, slow down JoJo... nobody would be able to handle that much power!

jojo said:
I see now, so a couple off offset viper strips, plaster the rest of the car with these "vortex generator's", 10X 4" oval exhausts and a handful of resistors, job done..... oh and fold the back seat down was it?. :racer:
Don't forget to go for a sh*t as well - that extra kilo might make all the difference :lmfao: