6,000 revs - stuttering - cutting out - what now!!

ash_s3

Reaction score
Came across another fault on my S3 today
Was giving it a bit of throttle down the dual carrigeway and when the revs reached about 6k in all gears (i think) the engine stuttered and jerked. Then changed gear and it was fine up until about 6k in the next gear then the same thing again.
Could it be the TIP collapsing, ive searched old posts but lots of people dont tell the symptoms and the cure which is a problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Ash

Possibly but unlikely, TIP collapse occurred on earlier TIPs (later TIPs had steel ribs/banding) and at peak torque. Torque will have tailed off quite a bit at 6krpm...

You need to be logging with VAG-COM to try and pinpoint whats happening.

Didn't realise this, thanks Stewart
Any ideas at all? MAF, temp sensor, n75, DV etc...
I love S3's....

....sometimes!!

Could be a number of things, could be coil pack breaking down, could be plug/s breaking down, MAF, lambda

You NEED to VAG-COM first, at least to see what if any error codes are being thrown up...

You need to run it through Vag-Com, it could be so many different things like Stewart mentioned.

If your ESP light is permanently stuck on, it's a good bet that your MAF has had it.

i had this when i first bought my s3 and crazy it sounds but turned out to be 2 of the coil packs for some reason they wer beaking down after 5500rpm all the time.

Ballcrusher said:
i had this when i first bought my s3 and crazy it sounds but turned out to be 2 of the coil packs for some reason they wer beaking down after 5500rpm all the time.

Did VAG-COM report intermittent misfires on the relevant cylinders?

didnt use vag com as i spoke to a friend who said it could be the above problem so i replaced all the coil packs one by one bit of an **** job and turned out to be the first to coil packs from the drivers side

Be very careful ash. There are a couple of guys on TT forum in January who reported similar, 4500 revs though, and two weeks later boht their motors chucked rods.

I would get it on vagcom today and drive it steady til its sorted...

Cheers Simch
no management lights on at all
Il get it plugged in asap!
Cut out on me today in traffic for no apparent reason, stuggled to re-start but was fine once it was started again and was fine for the rest of the day, wierd!

ash

it seems a common thread on here where someone is buying an s3 and a few weeks in is having problems! It makes me worry about why they are up for sale tbh!

Hope you get it sorted.

simch said:
it seems a common thread on here where someone is buying an s3 and a few weeks in is having problems! It makes me worry about why they are up for sale tbh!

Hope you get it sorted.

Indeed! And why do the problems never show themselves on extended test drives!