Insurance Accident Repair Problem

chrisross

Reaction score
I need some advice on a incident that happened last week.

I was driving to work last week when I approached some roadworks - It was marked as a ramp except they had made the ramp out of sand which had been washed away with rain overnight. Unfortunately this sand had been covering an exposed pipe with had some sort of metal object in it. As i went over the ramp - (5-10mph) there was a large bang from the underside of the car.

It so happens that the piece of metal in the pipe had been taken off when I went over the 'ramp' and caused some serious damage to the underside of the car.

I've been told by the garage that I require -
New Subframe
Engine Stabiliser bar
Rear engine support
+ possibly other stuff when they take the other parts off.

Now my problem is the subframes are on back order from Audi and they will not be able to supply one until the 26th March.
My insurance company (Elephant - a nightmare to deal with) have taken about a week to tell me that they wont be supplying me with a courtesy car as the car is not currently being repaired. This is despite the fact the car is at the garage and they have told me the car cannot be driven.

This now leaves me without a car for about 6 weeks?
I feel i have a very good claim against the council but am not sure how to proceed?

If i don't involve the insurance company I'm going to be looking at £700+(ish) repair bill plus about £700 to hire a car for 6 weeks. I've no idea how long the council would take to settle if i was successful but i doubt it would be quickly.

If i do involve the insurance company - I'm without a car for 6 weeks (I need my car for work) - Will have to pay £425 excess and may lose my no claims if any 3rd party claim by my insurance is unsuccessful.

Elephant have offered me a car for 1 or 2 weekends but will not move on the issue of a courtesy/hire car for the entire 6 week period.

New subframe and engine mounts for hitting a pipe in the road at 5mph.........

sounds lke someone is lifting your leg, fella!

Get some photos of it, I would be surprised if there is ANY appreciable damage that requires fixing if it happened like you say.

Did you stop at the scene? WHat did the workman say?
Was the pipe in a trench accross the road? How wide was the gap?

Why did your car get knacked and noone before you?

I can't understand the damage either. If the pipe was supposed to be protected by a ramp, which had washed away, it couldn't be sticking up out of the road far enough to do that sort of damage unless your car has been lowered by about 6 inches surely? Either that or that's one ****** enormous ramp, unless the car dropped into the trench....
Either way I'd let your insurance company handle it, that's what they're there for.

1) Elephant are *****! don't trust them, there is a reason they are cheap! i have first hand experience
2) why is your insurance company paying for damage caused by someone else, council or whoever are liable for that one

simch said:
New subframe and engine mounts for hitting a pipe in the road at 5mph.........

sounds lke someone is lifting your leg, fella!

Get some photos of it, I would be surprised if there is ANY appreciable damage that requires fixing if it happened like you say.

Did you stop at the scene? WHat did the workman say?
Was the pipe in a trench accross the road? How wide was the gap?

Why did your car get knacked and noone before you?

I can't believe it either but i realised as soon as i drove it afterwards that something was wrong. I've had it at 2 garages and they have both said the subframe needs replaced.

I have photos (of the scene) - I'll post them here tomorrow - There was no workmen around at the time as it happened at like 7am in the morning.
I think the damage has been caused by the metal cover thing they had on the pipe - a guy had just hit it in front of me (in a nissan 350Z) and was taking photos of the scene when i went over it.

jcb said:
1) Elephant are *****! don't trust them, there is a reason they are cheap! i have first hand experience
2) why is your insurance company paying for damage caused by someone else, council or whoever are liable for that one

Elephant are terrible - You can't get a decision about anything out of them.

I was hoping to use my insurance company (who have ok'd the work to be carried out) as I'd only have to pay my excess then they would pursue the council for the rest. I was also thinking they would supply me for a courtesy car for the duration it was off the road except that doesn't seem to be the case - I now have no car and no hope of getting it fixed for at least 6 weeks.

They say they are only required to give me a car for the time its getting fixed even though its sitting at the garage and i'm unable to drive it.

Sorry to hear about your accident mate. I would get the number of your insurance ombudsman and speak to them direct about your claim and where you stand, then get on the phone to elephant and your local council and demand that it is sorted ASAP.

Good Luck Fella

if you need a car for 6 weeks just go and buy a cheap runabout for £200 with a few months T&T then sell it when your done.

Sounds like a tricky situation you are in, its time to lean on your insurers big time

Good luck and keep us updated on how you get on

fingermouse said:
if you need a car for 6 weeks just go and buy a cheap runabout for £200 with a few months T&T then sell it when your done.

The problem is any costs involved (insurance etc) may be harder to recover than if I go down the hire car route?

The problem with the insurance company is with when they are defining the period of repair. Even though the garage have been given approval to do the work, they are saying the repair does not begin until they get all the parts they require. This means they're not required to give me a courtesy car even though I'm not able to drive the car. This is in spite of their website claiming a 'free courtesy car when you use one of our approved repairers'.

chrisross said:
The problem is any costs involved (insurance etc) may be harder to recover than if I go down the hire car route?

The problem with the insurance company is with when they are defining the period of repair. Even though the garage have been given approval to do the work, they are saying the repair does not begin until they get all the parts they require. This means they're not required to give me a courtesy car even though I'm not able to drive the car. This is in spite of their website claiming a 'free courtesy car when you use one of our approved repairers'.

It's a biatch when that happens, cos usually, you would be required to take the car to them once they have the parts to fix your car, but I guess they deem your car to be unroadworthy, so you are pretty much stuck.