EM TuningSky Insurance
    Monkey Trainer

Status

F*&%(ng Potholes!!

Hit a big hole today doing about 35ish. The alloy's ok but the tyre's frigged!

The only saving grace is that the tyres were only a couple of mill off the wear indicators. So I'm now looking for a new set but what with remapping and various other (significant other induced!) purchases, I'm feeling a little strapped.

So onto my question, anyone got a recommedation for a good but budget tyre, if such a one exists?! Something with stiff walls to take a bit of quattro bashing. Looking at the Falken FK451, Federal SS595 and Avon ZZ3, any others I should consider?
    A3 1.8TQS: Supersport Springs and Shocks, Xenons, BMC Filter, 18" OEM TTV6's, Bailey DV, N75J and Phase 1 Custom Code.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I hit a pothole in my Corsa 18 months ago and snapped my coilover in half

Monkey Trainer

Status
    Nice! Mild loss of handling I take it?
    A3 1.8TQS: Supersport Springs and Shocks, Xenons, BMC Filter, 18" OEM TTV6's, Bailey DV, N75J and Phase 1 Custom Code.

5th Gear

Status
    Was a bit of shock to say the least, had to drive 3 miles home with 3 shocks which was interesting, but the car ran so low I didn't know it was snapped until I jack it up the next day the shock was in 2 pieces lol

Monkey Trainer

Status
    Classic!

Neutral

Status
    In my experience Avon's were a bit poor in the wet.

Dunlops SP9000 are good as are Conti Sport although good on wet roads they did aquaplane a bit in standing water. Bridgestones are good too.

Falkens get a good write up on BMW forums and are well priced too.

Got Toyo's on the s3 and they are ok

got boost

Status
    I hit a pot hole the other day and snapped a gearbox mount .......Poo roads lol..
    1999 audi s3, silver recardo leather, lightly smoked windows,18" rs4 reps, full exhaust with de-cat, cold air induction, front mount intercooler, 13.850 1/4 mile @ 102 mph.A little vid on me running a 13.90
    http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MOV00019.flv
    xbox gamer tag jeffers999
    PS IM AFTER A CENTER ARM REST ASAP......
    Car collection
    Audi s3
    Vitara fat boy jeep soft top
    saxo vtr , little track toy
    polo 1.4 beast

1st Gear

Status
    makes you wounder why we pay
    stinking road tax

Monkey Trainer

Status
    Exactly, that's why I'll be sticking a claim into the local council

I've seen to few good write ups on the Falkens too.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The toyo's going pretty well....

Monkey Trainer

Status
    Cheers, I'll price them up too.

MOSES

Status
    I hit a pothole not so along.
    I had to replace drivers side track rod end and the hub and also had to get a new wheel bearing.

Went back 2days later to see the hole and take pics an send them off to the highway agency to clam but they beat me to it and they filled it in badley is well coz its started to come back

1.8t,AUM,Ming blue,Forge TIP,Forge silicone turbo hoses,BMC CDA,Forge 007p,Neuspeed short shift gearlink,powerflow hidden cat back,miltek downpipe,R8 oil cap,HIDs,Custom Code stage 1,de badged,de wipered,FKcoilovers

Monkey Trainer

Status
    Yeah , I guessed they might. The joy of camera phones!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mo
    I hit a pothole not so along.
    I had to replace drivers side track rod end and the hub and also had to get a new wheel bearing.

Went back 2days later to see the hole and take pics an send them off to the highway agency to clam but they beat me to it and they filled it in badley is well coz its started to come back
    I must be fairly close to you (Hazlemere) and l claimed against Wycombe District Council last year and although they denied liability, etc. l threatened them with legal action and eventually they paid out over 700 so if you genuinely feel your claim is valid then keep pursuing it and don't let them get away with it.

Maybe if l had less than 5 bins cluttering up my garden then they could spend more on repairing the shagged roads !!!

thats me

Status
    had toyos and they didnt last long so on zz3`s now, they fit the rim better imo and seem ok if not better than the toyos
    red to red black to black blue to bits

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    I put in claim against Wycombe and they denied it, I took them to small claims,paid my 50 pound and they showed "reasonable care to repair the road surface" so i lost.
    <Insert meaningless geeky specs here>

Reverse Gear

Status
    I hit a pot hole the first day I had my A3 and broke a front spring. I was not happy. Tyre wise Falkens and Avons aren't bad budget tyres, I would avoid Nankang and Toyo tyres.

Tyres make such a massive difference to driving though, so if you can spend a bit more for a decent set I would do.....

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oyohbb
    I would avoid Toyo tyres.

Tyres make such a massive difference to driving though, so if you can spend a bit more for a decent set I would do.....
    Erm WHAT? Are you on crack?!?!?!?

Toyo T1R and T1S are some of the best tyres money can buy for road going rubber.

Nankangs are rubbish, but putting Toyo and Nankang in the same area is like saying Vauxhall Astras and Subaru Imprezas are rubbish to drive.
    <Insert meaningless geeky specs here>

6th Gear

Status
    I hit a pothole about 3 weeks ago walking and look what happened to me.

A few days later with some bloody bruising.

MOSES

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleSi
    I must be fairly close to you (Hazlemere) and l claimed against Wycombe District Council last year and although they denied liability, etc. l threatened them with legal action and eventually they paid out over 700 so if you genuinely feel your claim is valid then keep pursuing it and don't let them get away with it.

Maybe if l had less than 5 bins cluttering up my garden then they could spend more on repairing the shagged roads !!!
    No it was on Cressex Road near the school.

I know your car. Is it always in the car park in cycle care with the car cleaners?
    Silver S3?

1.8t,AUM,Ming blue,Forge TIP,Forge silicone turbo hoses,BMC CDA,Forge 007p,Neuspeed short shift gearlink,powerflow hidden cat back,miltek downpipe,R8 oil cap,HIDs,Custom Code stage 1,de badged,de wipered,FKcoilovers

Neutral

Status
    Yes; that's the one.

l rent half the car park out to the car cleaners.

You'd have also seen my other car - blue, V8 + nitrous?

Monkey Trainer

Status
    Came to a decision, I think it would be better to wait until I can afford some decent rubber, so I've stuck my old 16"ers back on until I can. Still going to pursue the claim though!

Goodie Gum Drops

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oyohbb
    I hit a pot hole the first day I had my A3 and broke a front spring. I was not happy. Tyre wise Falkens and Avons aren't bad budget tyres, I would avoid Nankang and Toyo tyres.

I had toyo T1R tyres on my last motor and have not got as bad word to say about them! Will be putting a full set on my s3 when i need some new rubber.
    Black S3

Reverse Gear

Status
    I always use Kumo tyres on mine

3rd Gear

Status
    Another vote for Avon ZZ3's, under 100 per corner fitted. Last quite well too.
    Coming back to Audi with an A3 Tdi Sportback Quattro... but the 220bhp T5 was epic....