F*&%(ng Potholes!!

Tastyterrier

Monkey Trainer
Reaction score
Hit a big hole today doing about 35ish. The alloy's ok but the tyre's frigged! :motz:

The only saving grace is that the tyres were only a couple of mill off the wear indicators. So I'm now looking for a new set but what with remapping and various other (significant other induced!) purchases, I'm feeling a little strapped.

So onto my question, anyone got a recommedation for a good but budget tyre, if such a one exists?! Something with stiff walls to take a bit of quattro bashing. Looking at the Falken FK451, Federal SS595 and Avon ZZ3, any others I should consider?

Was a bit of shock to say the least, had to drive 3 miles home with 3 shocks which was interesting, but the car ran so low I didn't know it was snapped until I jack it up the next day the shock was in 2 pieces lol

In my experience Avon's were a bit poor in the wet.

Dunlops SP9000 are good as are Conti Sport although good on wet roads they did aquaplane a bit in standing water. Bridgestones are good too.

Falkens get a good write up on BMW forums and are well priced too.

Got Toyo's on the s3 and they are ok

Exactly, that's why I'll be sticking a claim into the local council:gun2:

I've seen to few good write ups on the Falkens too.

I hit a pothole not so along.
I had to replace drivers side track rod end and the hub and also had to get a new wheel bearing.

Went back 2days later to see the hole and take pics an send them off to the highway agency to clam but they beat me to it and they filled it in badley is well coz its started to come back

big_mo said:
I hit a pothole not so along.
I had to replace drivers side track rod end and the hub and also had to get a new wheel bearing.

Went back 2days later to see the hole and take pics an send them off to the highway agency to clam but they beat me to it and they filled it in badley is well coz its started to come back

I must be fairly close to you (Hazlemere) and l claimed against Wycombe District Council last year and although they denied liability, etc. l threatened them with legal action and eventually they paid out over £700 so if you genuinely feel your claim is valid then keep pursuing it and don't let them get away with it.

Maybe if l had less than 5 bins cluttering up my garden then they could spend more on repairing the shagged roads !!!

had toyos and they didnt last long so on zz3`s now, they fit the rim better imo and seem ok if not better than the toyos

I put in claim against Wycombe and they denied it, I took them to small claims,paid my 50 pound and they showed "reasonable care to repair the road surface" so i lost.

I hit a pot hole the first day I had my A3 and broke a front spring. I was not happy. Tyre wise Falkens and Avons aren't bad budget tyres, I would avoid Nankang and Toyo tyres.

Tyres make such a massive difference to driving though, so if you can spend a bit more for a decent set I would do.....

oyohbb said:
I would avoid Toyo tyres.

Tyres make such a massive difference to driving though, so if you can spend a bit more for a decent set I would do.....

Erm WHAT? Are you on crack?!?!?!?

Toyo T1R and T1S are some of the best tyres money can buy for road going rubber.

Nankangs are rubbish, but putting Toyo and Nankang in the same area is like saying Vauxhall Astras and Subaru Imprezas are rubbish to drive.

I hit a pothole about 3 weeks ago walking and look what happened to me.
A2.jpg

A few days later with some ****** bruising.
A33.jpg

CycleSi said:
I must be fairly close to you (Hazlemere) and l claimed against Wycombe District Council last year and although they denied liability, etc. l threatened them with legal action and eventually they paid out over £700 so if you genuinely feel your claim is valid then keep pursuing it and don't let them get away with it.

Maybe if l had less than 5 bins cluttering up my garden then they could spend more on repairing the shagged roads !!!

No it was on Cressex Road near the school.

I know your car. Is it always in the car park in cycle care with the car cleaners?
Silver S3?

Yes; that's the one.

l rent half the car park out to the car cleaners.

You'd have also seen my other car - blue, V8 + nitrous?

Came to a decision, I think it would be better to wait until I can afford some decent rubber, so I've stuck my old 16"ers back on until I can. Still going to pursue the claim though! :eiertritt:

oyohbb said:
I hit a pot hole the first day I had my A3 and broke a front spring. I was not happy. Tyre wise Falkens and Avons aren't bad budget tyres, I would avoid Nankang and Toyo tyres.

I had toyo T1R tyres on my last motor and have not got as bad word to say about them! Will be putting a full set on my s3 when i need some new rubber.