Top up oil on Automatic A3 gearbox?

nicelad_uk

Reaction score
Hi there,

This might sound like a stupid question, but can anybody advise how to top up oil on an Automatic A3 gearbox? At the minute its costing me a fortune paying Audi £80 a time to top it up, which needs to be done as it is burning oil when it shouldnt be.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

nicelad_uk said:
Hi there,

This might sound like a stupid question, but can anybody advise how to top up oil on an Automatic A3 gearbox? At the minute its costing me a fortune paying Audi £80 a time to top it up, which needs to be done as it is burning oil when it shouldnt be.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Like mate..

Firstly, welcome. I think we are the only two idiots on here with Auto tranny's...lol.. :icon_thumright: Sorry to hear youR burning oil. It may be best to change the oil completly.

Secondly, it is not easy operation but possible. The filler cap is on the side of the Tranny sump, and needs to levered out by a screwriver. However, you may need a new clip or cap if yours breaks...My best advice is to buy a haynes Manual as it is illustrated in there. Section 1A. If you can't afford one I might be able to scan the pages on here...

Thirdly, Do you have a remap? Just wondering (for sometime) if remap's would mess with the my Auto tranny

Finally, my Auto tranny is 'whinny' is yours?

Good luck,

Clach :o.k:

Clach said:
Like mate..

Firstly, welcome. I think we are the only two idiots on here with Auto tranny's...lol.. :icon_thumright: Sorry to hear youR burning oil. It may be best to change the oil completly.

Secondly, it is not easy operation but possible. The filler cap is on the side of the Tranny sump, and needs to levered out by a screwriver. However, you may need a new clip or cap if yours breaks...My best advice is to buy a haynes Manual as it is illustrated in there. Section 1A. If you can't afford one I might be able to scan the pages on here...

Thirdly, Do you have a remap? Just wondering (for sometime) if remap's would mess with the my Auto tranny

Finally, my Auto tranny is 'whinny' is yours?

Good luck,

Clach :o.k:

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Just thought i'd mention, this is my mum and dads car so I dont really know much about it, just my dad hasn't been able to top the gearbox oil up as he cant find where it is supposed to be done.

Audi say they need to get a tray of the oil and hold it at a certain level under the car with a hose connected to the dip-stick, then warm the oil up to a certain temperature to get it right.

We heard that as you can't top up the oil, there is however a way of using the dipstick with a hose (retrofit) and topping it up that way. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about this?

I dont know anything about if its a whinny or the remap though, sorry!

Thanks

Thanks for that mate,

Doesn't seem to be one here for the A3 though, or can you use another one? I dont know if they're all ok to use, any ideas?

I'll probably get one of those for my dad, but the main one he was mentioning was something that creates a dipstick in the auto gearbox that you can also top up from.... Don't know if you have any ideas on that?

Thanks for your help so far though, much appriciated!

You are best to contact them direct..., and they have only just released the A3 over there.

Personally, if it is burning oil like you say it is, I would get shot of it mate. £1000's to fix the tranny, the crap renualt built hunk of metal that it is.

Good luck