more and more cluster problems

patrick swayze

Reaction score
so i know ive posted before but im about to completely lose it and burn the car down.

my a3 has an essentially dead cluster, i sent it out to be repaired and the company told me they couldnt repair it.

so then i started looking for another cluster to purchase, to which i could find none. hit ebay everyday until i finally found one that looked promising, gave in and bought it.

fast forward to now, the cluster i got from ebay is from a 98' and my car is a 2000. it shares 2 of the 3 plugs in the back with the current cluster i have, but the center plug on the cluster differs from mine.

what i need to know is what does that center plug house? what do the wires in it do and is it neccessary?

im in america so im essentially stuck with these problems here because the dealerships dont seem to know anything about this model car.

heres a pic of the two differnt clusters i have

the faulty one that is in the car

a3cluster002.jpg

here is the one i purchased hoping the replace the previously pictured one with..

a3cluster001.jpg

the black one physically plugs into the car aside from that center plug, and appears to allow all operations, and even allows the car to start, but then shuts off due to the immobilizer.

i tried to have the dealer program the new cluster to my key and they basically said it wasnt working and blamed it on the lack of the center plug be attached, but its just odd that that plug didnt appear to operate the function of the cluster in anyway.

OK, Whats your budget for this new cluster. You got the wrong one, you need the right one, then its plug and play right?

I'm sure one of us would handle the shipping over to you if you buy one from UK eBay and then we could just re-post it to you....

What Dave_Bayern said is probably best, we'd help you out and ship over the right one, sell the one you bought on ebay again for what you bought it for and then buy the new one from the UK or germany and get it sent
over.
I have a wiring diagram for the car I can scan in if it would help but even then if its the wrong cluster and elements are missing from it it could but useless!
Best of luck to you mate.
Also didnt know patrick swayze drives an Audi a3/s3. :)

i actually got this one from ebay uk, and the shipper was good about sending it to the us, but obviously ended up not helping me.

as far as budget goes i just need one that works, not to say ill pay literally anything, but within reason, i just need to get this fixed and as soon as possible.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone needs the cluster that i currently cant use ill be more than happy to ship it to them, it works 100% just not in my car.

OK, so this time, buy one for the correct model year.

Get rid of your current one through eBay or classifieds or whatever, wait for a 2000 to appear and buy it! If they wont ship to the USA I'm sure someone here (including me) will help you out there and ship it back over.

Buy the right part, and it'll do the right job.

i was under the impression that this one would be compatable with my car. thats the only reason i bought it, i search everyday for a 2000 model year but ive yet to succeed in finding one.

ive tries places similar to those, and they all send me various amounts of hard to comprehend emails and endless information emails about nothing concerning me.

those places seem very hard to deal with being so far away.

This could be a long shot but...

If they have your chassis number i'm sure any audi UK dealer will be able to tell what part code your car should have - so it might be worth a phonecall to an audi uk parts department, ask them to price a new cluster and ask them what the code is for the cluster you need.

Then use this to search ebay for the right part - there will be various different types of clusters, i suspect the middle plug is for the DIS and the car you got the cluster from didnt have this, could have been a 1.6 or 1.8 n/a

I'm sure somebody on here could even phone audi with your chasis number and a story to get the right part number.

Or i could be barking completely up the wrong tree, but it might be worth a try

so far all the parts breakers to reply have been of no help,heres the part number im looking for..

8L0920930G

if anyone can do anything at all to help id really appreciate it.

Did youe-mail the breakers above, seriously I've never known for at least a couple not to have the parts required, and I've asked for some obscure **** before.

If i'd have known 2 weeks ago i had a set, now gone to the crusher im afriad.
Have to tried emailing the ebay sellers advertising S3's for breaking?

Ash

ash_s3 said:
If i'd have known 2 weeks ago i had a set, now gone to the crusher im afriad.
Have to tried emailing the ebay sellers advertising S3's for breaking?

Ash

i tried the above mentioned breakers and none yet has been able to provide me with the part.

i was going to email some of the breakers on ebay, but i wasnt certain if the s3 cluster was compatable.

I will probably be going to the dealers today, if not tommorow, to pick up bits for my car that I ordered. I could enquire for you if you wanted?

TheSpaceCowboy said:
I will probably be going to the dealers today, if not tommorow, to pick up bits for my car that I ordered. I could enquire for you if you wanted?

that would be appreciated.

i spend literally hours a day looking online for a compatable cluster and im having absolutely no luck.

Just for a bit of extra info for you (and perhaps help with the search), the part number you mention has been superceeded several times. All the following part numbers will work with your car.

8L0920930G
8L0920930GX
8L0920930HX
8L0920930MX
8L0920930NX
8L0920930JX (latest current version)

Also here are the pin assignments for the dash insert plugs. I believe the central plug is used for the central "DIS" display some models have.

Right click, Save as

wow thanks alot, im still having trouble finding one, but at least now i have more part numbers to look up.

if anyone out there knows of of anywhere i can source one of these part numbers please let me know.

HTC said:
You're welcome. There are a couple of breakers near me. I'll give them a call next week on your behalf.

thanks alot that would be great.

i have sent out a bunch of requests to various places but have thus far gotten little to no response.

anyone else have any connections for this part?

a guy in mexico quoted me $970 us dollars plus shipping for a new one. i dont think i can take that kick in the balls.

Like mate,

We talked before about the possibility of me shipping my A3 back to the states. Based on this experience I don't think I am going to bother...

Good luck..

Clach