1.8t starting/running problem

papalongchops

Reaction score
Hi, just after a bit of advice on my car! Over the past couple of days my car hasnt been starting first time and cutting out now and again. I noticed that the fuel pump wasnt priming itself when I first turned on the ignition intermitantly(sp?) I traced the fault back to the fuel pump relay. The live to the fuel pump wasn't always live and I had to turn ignition on and off, wait 2 mins and try again etc to then get a live feed to my fuel pump. The fuel pump relay seems to be working fine and I've found that I need an earth to the relay which I suspect that the ecu controls before the fuel pump starts to operate. I'm not getting this earth everytime which i suspect is the problem. I've put a earth to the relay and the fuel pump started working, but the car still would not start which I suspect is an ECU/immobilizor fault! I've recently had car re-mapped (2 weeks ago) and wasnt totally rest assured they new exactly what they were doing! They took all day doing it and it took 2 attempts to get right. They said originally that it would take an hour to do. The car goes like **** off a stick now so I thought everything was ok!

Back to the fault. My friend has vag-com and this will only communicate with the ECU when the car will start. So I thought I must have an intermittant fault on ecu. (Especially after ecu been messed with 2 weeks earlier) I.ve took the ECU case off to find that one of the chips on the the circuit board is looking furred up almost like water damage. All the other chips and circuitry looks like new (spotless) apart from this certain one! There is like a greeny residue around the chip and looks greasy which I put down to soldering flux! I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this and appologise if I'm not making sense! (Its been a long day tracing wires and getting no where and I've had to have a few beers now I'm afraid lol)

Any ideas/suggestions I'd greatly appreciate!

Thanks

Mark:icon_thumright:

Sounds like you have went about things sytematically...good luck with this, I am sure someone will be along in a mo with thoughts.. :icon_thumright: chin up