New S3

cybrey

Reaction score
I have a friend whoose just been to Sweden and 'claims' to have seen and test driven the prototype of the new S3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The only specs I have so far are the following;

4.2 V8 360 ish BHP 4WD(obviously)

Hes got some pictures so I'll post em tomorrow when he sends em..

I didn't even know Audi were going to develop this.

Intresting, I guess that would put it into the RS territory with those sort of specs, was it a Avant/Sportsback?

RS3.....?

No idea the specs have come via his wife to mine and then to me, so all the important details have got lost between the women, about all I got left with is "Its Red".

Hopefully hes going to send the pictures tomorrow.. so I'll upload em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It'll prolly turn out to be the new Skoda Octavia or something.

I seriously doubt the "new" S/RS3 will be a 4.2 V8 - that is the engine the RS6 uses and as standard is 444bhp.

Could be a detuned V8 (the new SLK AMG 55 will have a detuned version of the V8 that goes in the SL55). But why use a V8 for power that a V6 can easily produce?

Interesting. If this is indeed the (R)S3, then Audi have dropped the ball for the first time I can remember, allowing such pictures/information to leak (although, my memory's quite bad).

There is no way that is the case. Can we all remember who exactly the S3 is aimed at for a second???

I'd put my money on it being a highly tuned 2.0T.

Why release a 3.2 V6 variant ? The 3.2V6 is around the 250bhp. I suspect they'd only be able to get around this figure with a tuned 2.0T. They always err on the side of caution, which is why the current S3 is so chipable. This would make their new S3 no more powerful than the 3.2V6, which I doubt they would do.

Are there any 2.0 in the current VAG range with a turbo on ?

I think I've found the pic you are looking for:

I'll upload what I get tomorrow.. and people can draw whatever conclusions they want.

Someone's having a laugh.

[1] Too powerful for this size car in the market
[2] The V8 has only just got into the A4 size so won't go into A3 this soon (if ever)
[3] A3 uses haldex as it's a transverse engine platform. The V8 is longitudeinal (sp?)
[4] ... oh I can't be bothered as this ain't gonna happen.

p.s. That's not to say one hasn't been made as a test mule or something but no way will this come out. (IMHO)

The Golf GTI will use a 2.0 Turbo engine kicking out 200bhp and if the last GTI and S3 are anything to go by then it'll be the same situation.

Just cause there's a 3.2 A3 out, it has no relevance to what the S3 will be like IMO.

LOL at that picture!!

[ QUOTE ]
cybrey said:
No idea the specs have come via his wife to mine and then to me, so all the important details have got lost between the women, about all I got left with is "Its Red".

[/ QUOTE ]
And the bit that got lost between women ?? Anyone guess ? Yes thats right the all important number after the S.. Turns out it aint a S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif its an S4. I aint going to bother uploading the photo as it looks identical to the current A4, apart from the chrome wing mirrors, and what looks like a really small boot spoiler.

[ QUOTE ]
richy said:
cant wait to the new s4 me... 4.2 bi turbo i got told by the dealers...

WOW in my opinion!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cant get 2 turbos on the S4... not enough space!

Rich

I'm still on the reckoning it'll be a 3.2 turbo for the forth coming R/S3.

But yeah we ain't got a clue!

well i guess a tweaked 3.2 would make sense as changing cams and remapping can get 300 bhp out of the standard unit.....

So with Audi's expertise and perhaps a turbo or two?........

R

Read about 10/11 posts up... it wasn't an S3 it was an S4.

Awww, I was looking forward to see the daddy RS3 Sports Back style Avant A3 with nice side skirts and bulging wheel arches. To compliment this it has a set of wicked 6 Spoke RS6 likesque alloys hiding fat red brembo crossdrilled disks on some low profile 18" rubber hugging the street with it's hard and low suspension with the front splitter nestling against the tarmac. As you look to the side and back you see protruding from the rear a quad exhaust set-up smoking in the cold weather. As the camera pans around the car you see the glint of chrome around the windows and the LED light clusters and indictors that Audi have decided to put on from the A8. The door handles are flush to the door and requires the remote to pop em out so that the finger print scanner underneath can make sure you are a legitimate driver of this little beauty....

Gutted

You really have spent some time thinking about this .. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like he doesn't get out much!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

...on opening the little beauty you see the side strip shine ...RS3, the sills are a little higher than expected but offers more depth fof the driver. The seats are leather and is back to the Recaros, with more side holdings for the waist and thighs to hug you that little bit better. The steering wheel is changed to a lambo style one to provide easier steering inputs and also less wheel to make you hand pass underneath easier. The dials are from the S4 chromed but do have the turbo boost indicator up to 4. The alcove and rest of the dashboard are similar to the current S3 with the spongy felt but have carbon fibre inserts scattered around nicely. They decided to stay with a standard 6sp manual but the option for DSG is forthcoming. The gearstick and knob feel different and smaller like a Cive TypeR but have grooves for the fingers to nestle behind for a firmer shift. The gearbox feels tight and taut as you just play through the gears. You look at the centre console, gone has the rounded dials and replaced with improved switchgear and a colour 1.8" Colour LCD screen to indicate red and blue for hot/cold air and temp gauge, even down to a white snowflake for the aircon. The stereo is still the Audi spec but is standard with DAB and MP3, in the boot is the Bose and 12CD accompanied by the 12 speaker system in the car, with a Bass tube situated within the spare FULL size tyre, none of that space saving crap.......

Defintatly needs to get out more.

And I can't believe I'm even going to respond to this.. but.

[ QUOTE ]
colour 1.8" Colour LCD screen

[/ QUOTE ]
Surely this is unneccessary weight.

[ QUOTE ]
cybrey said:
Defintatly needs to get out more.

And I can't believe I'm even going to respond to this.. but.

[ QUOTE ]
colour 1.8" Colour LCD screen

[/ QUOTE ]
Surely this is unneccessary weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, they are using the new generation LCD technology made by EDT this produces a weight of only 100g, coupled with the componenets and housing along with the additonal wiring this produces a kerb weight of only 500g.

I think the only unnecessary weight would be the passengers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif