Volks AutosChris Nott

Thread: alarm problems

Neutral

Status

alarm problems

Hi guys,

Audi a3 T-sport.

I recently found out that my alarm was not working brought it to the garage, 10 mins and 30 pounds later was told that it is a job that only audi can undertake.
    Here is a copy of the report can anyone tell me what does this means.

Thanks.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...Randompics.jpg

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    HMMMMMMM not sure probably the alarm siren which comes complete with the battery. Its about 80 pounds. They normally fail after 8 years. Its a pain of a job though.
    Audi A3 54 plate 2.0 FSI Sport
    www.simplydents.co.uk

Mods - 11 Rear lights, custom front matt black grille, I pod connection, S3 rear spoiler.

Status
    I agree with Nik

Administrator

Status
    Yep, it's a favourite...

The battery often fails and leaks shorting the rest of it out. That'd give you not-connected/power-failure type errors...

I don't think it's fair to say that it's a job only Audi can do but as the other guys have said, it's a PITA of a job to replace it.

If you wanted to try to dig it out yourself to investigate the manuals here might be useful:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/macnee/home.htm

Regards,

Rob.
    Boot full of dog. Back seat full of lenses.

1st Gear

Status
    I've got this problem too, but the alarm is so useless (i.e. feeble) anyway that I'd sooner disable it than buy a new siren (and probably pay to have it fitted).

So my question is: how can I disable the alarm system or just the siren? What happens if I just disconnect the siren? Is there a separate fuse for it (I couldn't find one)?

1st Gear

Status
    Cant remember the fuse number, but if you take it out then c/l wont work together with interior light. YOu can just disconnect the siren if you want.
    Audi A3 54 plate 2.0 FSI Sport
    www.simplydents.co.uk

Mods - 11 Rear lights, custom front matt black grille, I pod connection, S3 rear spoiler.

1st Gear

Status
    But presumably I would still have to take the rear end of the car apart just to disconnect it.

Administrator

Status
    If you know someone with VAG-COM the Central Locking unit can be re-coded to effectively 'disable' the alarm...

Regards,

Rob.

1st Gear

Status
    I think thats the problem i have with mine, only the central locking works, i didnt even know i had an alarm. is it suppose to beep when u press the lock/unlock buttons?

I think the alarm has been disabled, please shed some light please.

Administrator

Status
    The horn/siren doesn't have to beep to signal arming/disarming of the alarm. That's a switchable option (by VAG-COM) on the controller. The default from-the-factory seems to be for this to be off, so you can't rely on this as an indicator of the alarm working or not.

OK It's possible that:

a) The central locking control unit has a soft-coding which has it thinking it's not an alarm too - that's an easy fix - just a recode.

b) The ATW Horn (alarm siren) is turned off but the coding is correct - this is less likey, which is a good thing as it's a bit of a teeth-drier to resolve (myself and PlatinumR have been working on this on his S8)

c) There's a physical fault.

All of these things are much easier to confirm with VAG-COM.

The easiest way to help narrow it down would be to do all you can to set the alarm off...

So, lock the car with one of the windows open.

Give it 60-90 seconds to arm the alarm, put your hands through the window and clap nice and loud near the top of the b-pillar...

If the alarm sounds, great. If there's no sound but the indiators flash continuously, it indicates th siren is disabled (-b- above). If nothing at all happens it could still be -a- or -c- above; or that the interior monitoring (which is a separate control unit) is disabled or faulty - it's worth doing this test to check that at the same time.

So, if nothing happens, use the handle on the inside of the door to open it...

If the alarm sounds, it's working but there is an issue with interior monitor. If there's no sound but the indicators flash there's an issue with the interior monitor AND -b- or -c- above. If nothing at all happens, it's either -a- or -c-

The only real way to differentiate then is to use VAG-COM to check the soft-coding and look for fault codes.

Hope that helps you diagnose...

Regards,

Rob
    Last edited by FactionOne; 8th February 2008 at 11:28.

3rd Gear

Status
    Spence or Nu Boy, I have a replacement part if you want it. Boxed, brand new and unused. Genuine Audi, number 8LO 951 605 A which is the alarm/battery unit. It was indeed 80. How does 50 posted to you sound ?

Any help? Can supply pictures....
    Coming back to Audi with an A3 Tdi Sportback Quattro... but the 220bhp T5 was epic....

5th Gear

Status
    I have a feeling my S3 alarms had it, had the rear screen smashed a few weeks back and the alarm didn't go off.

6th Gear

Status
    They are crap, feable sounding.

I have to stript he back out of mine to fix a leaking rear washer pipe, so will have a look at it all then. If possible I want to replace or add an aditional alarm sounder to bolster the noise. I dont mind losing the battery back up to do this? Anyone knwo if a generic alarm sounder would work as an aditional or replacement.

Why have audi never adressed this crappy alarm problem and built a more reliable louder unit?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FactionOne
    If you know someone with VAG-COM the Central Locking unit can be re-coded to effectively 'disable' the alarm...

Regards,

Rob.
    Great! I have a VAG-COM. How do I recode to just disable the alarm siren without affecting the central locking behaviour?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FactionOne
    The horn/siren doesn't have to beep to signal arming/disarming of the alarm. That's a switchable option (by VAG-COM) on the controller. The default from-the-factory seems to be for this to be off, so you can't rely on this as an indicator of the alarm working or not.
    Do have instructions for doing this? mine doesn't beep when i lock it but I can get vag-com at a local and wouldn't mind giving it a try!
    2001 Facelift S3, Custom Code Phase 1, Forge 007p

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NoggyDS3
    Do have instructions for doing this? mine doesn't beep when i lock it but I can get vag-com at a local and wouldn't mind giving it a try!
    There's full details here:
    http://www.wak-tt.com/vagcom/vagcomclcoding.htm

I've successfully used these instructions to enable beeping on mine with a VAG-COM.

I would like someone to confirm if its possible to disable the siren entirely with VAG-COM or not. If it is, I imagine it will be one of the other 'bits' in this coding.

4th Gear

Status
    I can confirm that it is possible to disable the alarm completely. I had to do it when the alaram kept going off on my A3. I don't have the info to hand though. Try a search on here or on google, it can't have been that difficult to find as I found it at 2 in the morning when the thing kept going off.
    03 Ebony black S3, Dieselgeek short shift, its started..

1st Gear

Status
    Found this after a bit of digging:
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpos...61&postcount=4

Will give it a go this weekend.