Brake light problem - searched and none like mine

kaos_king

Reaction score
Ok so brake lights arnt working, naturally you check the bulbs (but both to go and the led strip one is unlikely).

Checked the fuses - dont know which one is the brake one but they all seemed good.

Got a new swich from audi and replaced it, the 4 pin one (the old one was black and round, the new one is green and squarish - does this make a difference?).

Lights still arnt working, so i got a multimeter on the wires going to the switch (while the switch is in) and there is a permanent live one wire and the other 3 arnt carrying any current, regardless of the switch position. Could it be (a) a faulty switch (the new one) or (b) is it because its a green square one and not black and round or (c) could there be a problem with the wiring or (d) something else ive not thought of.

Cant see it being (c) because there is a permanent live to it, so i would presume that when the switch is activated that live would be passed to the lights.

Any ideas? cheers

Would help if you specified what car you had and what year...

The brake light switches are all round aren't they? I don't ever remember coming across a square one?

I think that there is only one type of 4-pin switch. Only some of the earlier cars had a 2-pin. May just be a different design to what you origionally had. When you say they are not working, do you mean that the lights do not come on when you press down the pedal? Try just pushing in the little stick bit on the switch and see if that makes them go on. If it does then you may have just not adjusted it properly.

Its a 2002 1.6 Sport.

Tested the switch whist it wasnt against the brake switch so i definately know that its not that its not releasing enough to activate it.

Im gonna bridge the connections and see if its the switch or not tomorrow.

Here's the switches:

03022008473.jpg

Im pretty sure that its just a different design, maybe someone who works at Audi could tell you? I do know for a fact that there are about 9/10 different VAG part numbers that are the equivilant to one switch in the aftermarket. But you got yours from Audi yeah?

Yeah i got the switch from audi.

I bridged the connection last nite and the brake lights came on so the wiring is ok, it must be a faulty switch.

Yea some can be push to make or break but in either position this switch didnt work - i was testing it while it was in my hand so i didnt have to press the break pedal to operate.

I'll go back to audi and get them to swap the switch and let you all know. Cheers