What oil on a 210, 2001, S3?

DaveMK^

Reaction score
Hey all,

I know there are posts about what oil to use but the recent threads about how the engines are different about mapping etc has just got me confused.

Can anyone recommend what oil I should buy for the above?

I plan on checking it weekly for tops up and how often to people do full oil and filter changes? Im used to doing it every 3k on my honda's

Thanks

I use Castrol Edge VW504 spec. (5w-30).

Depends if you are on variable servicing or not. From your post, I'm guessing you're not on variable servicing in which case you can go for a much cheaper oil than the stuff designed for variable servicing which works out at around £10-£12 a litre.

I put either Halfords fully synthetic (often on 2 for 1 at Halfords - so 10 litres for £33) or Synta Gold in mine - 5W 40. I change it every 5000 miles together with the filter.

Hey I am on the variable servicing, no idea what that means though?

edit: just checked my service book and im now not sure if I am on VS although im sure i remember the guy at the dealer telling me I am.

i use mobil 1...0w 40 synthetic its around £40 for 5ltrs but good stuff

DaveMK^ said:
Hey I am on the variable servicing, no idea what that means though?

Edit: just checked my service book and im now not sure if I am on VS although im sure i remember the guy at the dealer telling me I am.

Variable servicing means that the car tells you when it needs to be serviced - which could be up to 20,000 miles. I disagree completely with the idea of having the same oil in the car for that length of time so I had mine put back on regular servicing (just done in VAG.COM). I have had many rants and rages about that in the past. The whole thing is just designed to keep service costs down for fleet users which then keeps the lease cost down and hence makes the car cheaper to lease than say a comparable BMW or Merc.

The variable servicing oil is a lot more expensive than even a standard fully synthetic thanks to the additives they need to put in to stop the oil degrading over time, and there are various VAG standards (which are all explained somewhere on the forum - think it's in the stickies at the top) depending upon the age of the car. As a 2001 car like mine, they'd only just introduced variable servicing regime so I think the spec on our cars is one of the lower ones. As things have got more complicated - especially on the diesel front with much higher power, they keep adding to the oil standard list as new engines come out.

As mentioned before, if you plan to change your oil on fixed intervals like 5000 miles, there is no need to spend £12 a litre on these oils. Plain fully synthetic is all you need - whether it is mobil one, or some of the cheaper brands like I mentioned earlier. You really would be pouring your money down the drain buying a variable service compatible oil and then changing it after 5000 miles. I can get 10 litres of Halfords oil, plus 2 oil filters and sump washers for under £40. That's two oil changes (DIY) for less than the price of 4 litres of AVS oil.