Trying to remove double din...

rickparmar

Reaction score
Am trying to take out my double din headunit so i can connect a dension on it,

ive got the keys from ebay but it wont take the headunit out,

has anyone got any stronger keys they could lend me, or does anyone have any other ideas

You have got 4 keys right? The keys don't come back out until you pull the radio out and release them.

Rick ive bought the same flimsy keys...took me a good 30 mins to get it out...maki several marks on the HU and strippin my fingers....had the glove box out also so was able to push from the back....however...it just pressed one key and the unit released....couldnt figure that out

I cut myself on the cheap keys before. I got a decent set but still use a rag as some of them can be a pain to get.

Don't use the keys to pull the HU out!!
Remove the glovebox and push from behind once the keys are engaged.
Apart from personal injury, pulling on the keys themselves will guarantee to knacker the flimsy spring clips and the unit will end up wedged in.
Also ensure you are using the angled side of the key pointing in towards the HU, so all keys should have the angled edge facing each other.

Are the keys in the right way?

the audi keys have an arrow where you pull which faces outward on both sides, with the cheaper keys you need to have the angled edge of the blade facing inwards on both sides.

If you are using the copy keys, then wiggle them about until you Hear/feel it click into place, even then if the unit is tight you'll have a game to get it out.

I've known the drivers side lower dash panel to be removed to access the rear of the unit for an additional push.

Edit: crosspost with Andy:) - slow typer!!!!

AndyMac said:
Don't use the keys to pull the HU out!!
Remove the glovebox and push from behind once the keys are engaged.
Apart from personal injury, pulling on the keys themselves will guarantee to knacker the flimsy spring clips and the unit will end up wedged in.
Also ensure you are using the angled side of the key pointing in towards the HU, so all keys should have the angled edge facing each other.

I agree with andy... the glove box is very simple too remove and stops the risk of causing damage... recently had all of mine appart for a HU instal

thanks all, ive got a day of on fri so will give it ago.

how do i take the glovebox out?

from memory - there are screws(torx) in the top of the glovebox with the lid open and also underneath - be careful removing due to the light fitting.

Also if you have an airbag disable keyswitch inside the glovebox, if you unplug it to get the glovebox out the way ensure you don't turn the ignition on with it unplugged otherwise the airbag system will be disabled until you can reset it with VAGCOM & your airbag light will stay on.

ok ive taken the glovebox out, but the headunit just wont budge, any other ideas

Most likely you've knackered one or more of the spring clips and it's now wedged in there.
When you put each key in can you feel any resistance as it pushes against the spring? Or is it just floppy and doesn't feel like it's doing anything?
You should feel resistance as you slide it in with the angled side facing inwards, then the key should click into a locked position which means the springs are disengaged. You should then be able to move that part of the HU in/out slightly. With all keys in place the unit should slide out.
The springs are really flimsy and only attached to the chassis with a single tiny rivet, so if you got it wrong on the first few tries then it's entirely possible you've bent the spring, or pushed it out of position.
Also what do your keys look like? Do they have a straight angle on them or a curved one? They should be straight with a slight notch at the end to lock into place.
failing all that you'll have to force the unit out.

:) thanks andymac

ok the headunit is out now, i connected the dension wires up, and then the headunit started flashing and playing a song from the cd, i couldnt switch it of so i pulled out the wires from the back,

now it wont turn on, but when i connect the power up again i can hear the cd making funny noises :(

this happens with and without the dension hooked up

Is the ignition on? the HU is controlled by the CANBUS which tells it whether the keys are in the ignition or not. Make sure the CANBUS lead is firmly connected and the ignition is on. Don't do this with the airbag switch inside the glovebox still disconnected if you have one.
Otherwise you may have blown a fuse by pulling out the perm live when the unit was still playing. Check the fuse on the back of the Hu and also the Radio fuse in the fusebox.

airbag switch i havent touched,

the headunit now comes on but stays stuck on one radio station, i have press the buttons hard to change station but then volume etc doesnt work

i press cd and is now comes up with error 3, fuse back of the head unit is fine

Am doing it in this order

ignition on,
connect all wires
and the bottom power wire last

this is without the dension connected

Turn the ignition on last. Connect everything up first with the keys out. then turn the ignition on to trigger the CANBUS, then turn the ignition off but leave the keys in.
If you connect the CANBUS with the ignition on it might get confused.
Failing that I'd disconnect the battery for 30mins as long as you have the code for the radio (although you might not need it as the CANBUS will know you haven't changed the HU).
No idea why Audi think using the CANBUS to control the HU is a good idea, when a simple ignition on feed to the HU does the same thing without all this fannying around.

You must take your key out the ignition rick, the live is still active with the keys in the ignition, even though you have turn it all the way off!

ive tried both ways, key in and key out

headunit freezes with 1 radio station,

sometimes i can press buttons and the cd says no cds when there is 6 in there,

AndyMac said:
Turn the ignition on last. Connect everything up first with the keys out. then turn the ignition on to trigger the CANBUS, then turn the ignition off but leave the keys in.

right ok, let me try this way, back in 5 min

ok did exactly that, headunit display screen flashes, and radio station just plays, can only switch it on and off,

nothing else works

SORTED :)

Loose wires cause a lot of problems

the wires just wouldnt sit in the back of the headunit properly i dont know why, but its working at the mo

cd changer doesnt work now, keep gettin error 3 but ill sort this out on a later date,

dension fitted, seems to be working at the moment but will test it out later properly

thanks for everyones help, and here i was thinking to upgrade to the rns-e

Err 3 is a fault in the mechanism of the internal CD player