Help needed with fault codes

j4jon

Reaction score
My parents have my old A3 which has now got the check engine light on. The two faults codes that come up on VAGCOM are:

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-00 - -
17545 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Rich
P1137 - 35-00 - -

To start with I cleared the codes, and then 10 days later it came back on. The car has a jabba remap and also had a turbo dynamics recirc valve. The recirc valve has now been swapped back to a standard valve and the codes cleared, 10 days later the light comes back on. We have replaced the MAF and all the coil packs, cleared the code and 10 days later it comes back on.

Any idea on what to check now?
I've read that it could be the lambda or possibly the coolant temp sensor, or it could be a boost leak. The temp sensor was replaced about 2 years ago with a green one.

Does anybody know how to test the lambda sensors with VAGCOM? Or what else I should be checking?

17705 - Check your boost hoses for leaks/cracks. Could also be the induction hose collapsing under load.

17545 - Had this fault, turned out to be the Secondary Air Pump. Start the engine from cold and look down the front of the engine (toward the left and at the bottom) to the pump. The rivets have a tendancy to shear so you might see the casing opening under pressure. This pump can be repaired by removing it, drilling out the rivets and re-fitting new ones.