EM TuningVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Angry Forget the bumper...Cambelt just gone!

With me fretting last week about getting some minor cosmetic work done, I've just now been kicked in the ********! Cambelt went this afternoon while driving at about 30. Quickly coasted it round a corner to get off the road and I knew straight away it was that. AA confirmed this and I've just dropped it at Sale Audi (independent) for them to give me the worst tomorrow. Fingers crossed it isn't gonna cripple me...Will keep you posted.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    How many miles has it done?

Gutted mate!
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Oh bugger! Sorry to hear that. It'll be a new set of valves, but hopefully not pistons.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Seems to be a lot of failed cambelts I'm reading on here, I've changed mine recently and still worried about it!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Goodie Gum Drops

Status
    When mine went it had a new head fitted at over 2k
    Black S3

6th Gear

Status
    When mine went it was a whole new engine....6k inc VAT, parts & labour. Make sure they can do the Audi Exchange as this may help out.
    Jester
    "On my second S3 and loving it. RS3 here I come!!!"

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just got back from Sale Audi...They said it'll be a grand. They're not going to patch it up, he said they'll send it off to be rebuilt properly. Should only take a week so that ain't too bad. Wrong time of the year for this to happen though. Hope there won't be any knock effects from it though and the car feels as good after it. It has done 93000 but I only do about 3 - 4000 miles a year and was hoping to keep it for at least 2 more years. Has anybody else had theirs done?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MANDELA
    Just got back from Sale Audi...They said it'll be a grand. They're not going to patch it up, he said they'll send it off to be rebuilt properly. Should only take a week so that ain't too bad. Wrong time of the year for this to happen though. Hope there won't be any knock effects from it though and the car feels as good after it. It has done 93000 but I only do about 3 - 4000 miles a year and was hoping to keep it for at least 2 more years. Has anybody else had theirs done?

93k miles on original cambelt or it's been changed at some point?

6th Gear

Status
    93K !!!!! please tell me thats already had a change done and it's the second belt thats gone ? Even if you don't do many miles, it's still recommend 60K or 4 years. This is because the belts perish with age.

got boost

Status
    Gutted for ya mate ...
    1999 audi s3, silver recardo leather, lightly smoked windows,18" rs4 reps, full exhaust with de-cat, cold air induction, front mount intercooler, 13.850 1/4 mile @ 102 mph.A little vid on me running a 13.90
    http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MOV00019.flv
    xbox gamer tag jeffers999
    PS IM AFTER A CENTER ARM REST ASAP......
    Car collection
    Audi s3
    Vitara fat boy jeep soft top
    saxo vtr , little track toy
    polo 1.4 beast

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan
    93K !!!!! please tell me thats already had a change done and it's the second belt thats gone ? Even if you don't do many miles, it's still recommend 60K or 4 years. This is because the belts perish with age.
    I'd rather hear it was on the 1st belt! if it was on the 2nd then it makes you question why it failed?!!

A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!

Status
    Could be something like the tensioner failed which happened too my mate on his tdi. It had only had a new cam belt 10k before.

Daz - Audi A3 - 18" rs4 alloys - Weitec ultra gt 30mm kit - pipercross panel filter - tints all round - facelight rear lights - clear side repeaters - german style plates - flip out dvd touchscreen hu

Reverse Gear

Status
    Getting worried about just fixing the valves and head now. Will this sort it out or is it totally fecked and needs a new engine? Has anybody had it fixed after one of these failures?

Now running on Heavy Oil

Status
    Changing/repairing the head should be fine! Was it the original cambelt?????
    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

Churchill August 20th 1940

Reverse Gear

Status
    Think it must of been you know. Was serviced on 82,000 with non-audi garage and they've ticked off toothed belt...get the impression that it was just an oil change. Just spoke to the garage and they're sending it off to be done today... They said 12 valves were bent. Should be done by Monday, hopefully it'll be ok. Said they'll check the pistons for damage but its unlikely that anythings wrong with them. New water pump and alternator belt also.

2nd Gear

Status
    bottom end is where the damage really hurts the pocket... I had to have the whole lot done when mine went pre 1st bewlt change.

Whilst its out you might wanna consider new / refurb turbo... you should only parts parts. Also clutch if its not been done.
    S3(225) - Dolpin Grey | Leather/Silver Alcantara | Bose | ViperDV | Samco Hoses | Eibach Pro-Kit | H&R Spacers | Brembo GT kit | AreoWipers | BlueTooth | Dension Icelink | New engine, Clutch, Turbo, Water pump thanks to Cambelt @ 79,000 miles | New short engine thanks to ****ed valve 22,000 miles later!

Reverse Gear

Status
    picking it up this afternoon...fingers crossed!!!

A3 - 1.8Ts

Status
    Good luck..

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MANDELA
    picking it up this afternoon...fingers crossed!!!

Good luck mate, fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Had it done...new valves, head skimmed, new cambelt kit inc water pump, full service inc haldex change. Came under 1400...feels and sounds like new!!! Not took it above 4500 revs yet as I'm a bit tentative but it really feels and sounds smooth. Not sure if its because of the ECU reset yet if its a bit slow on bottom revs though. Could hear the throttle body doing its thing when I got home last night. Theres no way that the remap could have been reset is there? Was a bit of confusion when I had it done at Awesome last year as they said it would need chipping but then changed their mind and said they had developed there own remap and Rollin roaded it up to 265bhp...which was sweet! Theres no way of losing this map on a 2000X engine system is there?