Forget the bumper...Cambelt just gone!

MANDELA

Reaction score
With me fretting last week about getting some minor cosmetic work done, I've just now been kicked in the ********! Cambelt went this afternoon while driving at about 30. Quickly coasted it round a corner to get off the road and I knew straight away it was that. AA confirmed this and I've just dropped it at Sale Audi (independent) for them to give me the worst tomorrow. Fingers crossed it isn't gonna cripple me...Will keep you posted.

When mine went it was a whole new engine....6k inc VAT, parts & labour. Make sure they can do the Audi Exchange as this may help out.

Just got back from Sale Audi...They said it'll be a grand. They're not going to patch it up, he said they'll send it off to be rebuilt properly. Should only take a week so that ain't too bad. Wrong time of the year for this to happen though. Hope there won't be any knock effects from it though and the car feels as good after it. It has done 93000 but I only do about 3 - 4000 miles a year and was hoping to keep it for at least 2 more years. Has anybody else had theirs done?

MANDELA said:
Just got back from Sale Audi...They said it'll be a grand. They're not going to patch it up, he said they'll send it off to be rebuilt properly. Should only take a week so that ain't too bad. Wrong time of the year for this to happen though. Hope there won't be any knock effects from it though and the car feels as good after it. It has done 93000 but I only do about 3 - 4000 miles a year and was hoping to keep it for at least 2 more years. Has anybody else had theirs done?

93k miles on original cambelt or it's been changed at some point?

93K !!!!! please tell me thats already had a change done and it's the second belt thats gone ? Even if you don't do many miles, it's still recommend 60K or 4 years. This is because the belts perish with age.

auroan said:
93K !!!!! please tell me thats already had a change done and it's the second belt thats gone ? Even if you don't do many miles, it's still recommend 60K or 4 years. This is because the belts perish with age.

I'd rather hear it was on the 1st belt! if it was on the 2nd then it makes you question why it failed?!!

Could be something like the tensioner failed which happened too my mate on his tdi. It had only had a new cam belt 10k before.

Getting worried about just fixing the valves and head now. Will this sort it out or is it totally fecked and needs a new engine? Has anybody had it fixed after one of these failures?

Changing/repairing the head should be fine! Was it the original cambelt?????

Think it must of been you know. Was serviced on 82,000 with non-audi garage and they've ticked off toothed belt...get the impression that it was just an oil change. Just spoke to the garage and they're sending it off to be done today... They said 12 valves were bent. Should be done by Monday, hopefully it'll be ok. Said they'll check the pistons for damage but its unlikely that anythings wrong with them. New water pump and alternator belt also.

bottom end is where the damage really hurts the pocket... I had to have the whole lot done when mine went pre 1st bewlt change.

Whilst its out you might wanna consider new / refurb turbo... you should only parts parts. Also clutch if its not been done.

picking it up this afternoon...fingers crossed!!!

Had it done...new valves, head skimmed, new cambelt kit inc water pump, full service inc haldex change. Came under £1400...feels and sounds like new!!! Not took it above 4500 revs yet as I'm a bit tentative but it really feels and sounds smooth. Not sure if its because of the ECU reset yet if its a bit slow on bottom revs though. Could hear the throttle body doing its thing when I got home last night. Theres no way that the remap could have been reset is there? Was a bit of confusion when I had it done at Awesome last year as they said it would need chipping but then changed their mind and said they had developed there own remap and Rollin roaded it up to 265bhp...which was sweet! Theres no way of losing this map on a 2000X engine system is there?