Used A3T Review

recomdos

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi Guys,

I just wrote all this and then [censored] [censored] explorer crashed didn’t it?

Ok so short version (some breathe a sigh of relief already).

Not sure if it’s fait or destiny, but in today’s Sunday Times (March 28 04) - supplement on the forecourt – page 13. Good little write up on the Used A3 – in particular the 1.8T Sport which I’m planning to be the owner of on Saturday coming (can’t wait) It’s a nice lil read putting my mind at ease that now is the time to buy a used A3. One thing that puts me off is quote: ‘but beware of used examples that have hada performance upgrade “chip”. The extra performance is often gained at cost to engine and turbo life. Why does it put me off? Well because the one I’m looking to buying next week is chipped!

Can anyone suggest signs of such engine wear to look for? I’m more than sure it should be fine, as the chap I’m buying off has provided near enough all information I wanted, pics and he’s got receipts for everything, plus all after warranty work was done at AMD (who I hear are pretty darn good), but still it’s a car and things do go wrong – any suggestions?

They use an X reg with 40k on the clock at a price of £10,395 from dealer with 12 month warranty or £9500 private – I’d love the facelift model, but sadly can’t afford it – so it’s out of the question for me, but to anyone else looking to buy a used A3 T Sport – this is what they recommend as a bit of a buy!

Features to look for: Smoke at high revs (suggests engine wear), water pump prone to failure on early 1.8 models, check the deadlocks work properly (what exactly are deadlocks and how do I check? Lol) The rest of the stuff mentioned is just features on the example. So I guess any other checks would be that of usual ones. To reassure the missus, this is the car for you – it receives 4 star Euro NCAP rating on post August 1997 cars when side airbags became standard.

If anyone really wants this - I will see if I can get the scanner working or maybe even a digipic of it and mail it to ya’s – pm with email adds.

This better not crash again – grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif