CUstom Code or Revo?

DaveMK^

Reaction score
Who would you go for on your S3?

Thanks

Custom code all the way!
I bought my car map'd by.... guess who

It felt a bit strange and no where near how i expected it would be standard, So off i went to see what JBS could do for it.
The map they fitted was a world apart. It was sooooo smooth, I was like " sure this is mapped?" but as soon as i got to have a quick blast against a stock S3 i left it for dead.
In short... Custom Code keeps the smoothness of the standard car but makes the pull much more noticable. The MPG stays near standard too! BONUS !

:thumbsup:

I remember the day I got mine CC'd I came off the M1 to go on the M62 to Bradford and came round the outside of a Ibiza Cupra on the slip road. This cupra couldn't beleive how fast I was going. The grin factor is worth every penny still to this day. If you want a shove in the back and some torquey acceleration then go for Revo but if you want a smooth map then Custom Code is the way to go. Just to throw a curve ball in I wouldn't rule out the other tuning companies, i.e APR, Jabba MRC etc etc. To be honest if I were to do it again and I lived closer I'd be giving MRC a call

I tryed a map from Super chip too.
That cost me an engine!
It upped the boost but didnt realy sort the fueling to match.! resulting in everything getting well hot ! cracked turbo. manifold... all they way across the head...

As said above the REVO map did give a kick up the **** but the power band seemed to be sooo narrow. ... Nothing.... POWER... Nothing but revs and noise...

This is just my opinion as others might like the "kick" but i loved how mine felt after CC

S3 Paul said:
As said above the REVO map did give a kick up the **** but the power band seemed to be sooo narrow. ... Nothing.... POWER... Nothing but revs and noise...

This is just my opinion as others might like the "kick" but i loved how mine felt after CC

I agree with Paul on this one. Custom Code changed my life!:rockwoot:

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'd personally recommend custom-code ;) With the 30% discount offer running till the end of the month it's hard to turn down and the new mobile tuning service means wherever you live custom-code will come to you for no extra charge!

Custom-Code Team

i was thinking of getting mine done by cc to and also have a mate who has a TT whos interested so maybe we can get 3 for 1 offer or something:hubbahubba: what you think!;)

Another Vote for custom code here too!

My car is away at Storm being mapped this week, and so far all sounds good. It developed an initial boost leak after the map went on, but after a call to custom code HQ, I was assured everything would be sorted out without extra cost, and it is being sorted as we speak!

Great service, and great maps!

I had revo previously..... it was great at first, felt SO quick on the road.

Then I drove a bog standard 1.8T, and it actually felt better, slower by a long way, but better due to the way the delivery was smooth and constant to the redline.

Getting back in my revo'd car felt like driving a very torquey Oil burner....

No thanks. Custom code for me from now on!

THanks guys :)

CC can you give me a quote on a stage 1 remap?

I e-mailed both custom code and asked Fontain about Revo for an Automatic...Sadly, one never got back to me and the other coudn't give me a staright answer if it would F*&k the tranny....I hear good things of custom code though...Good luck!!! Jealous Audi auto (for the american wife) driver....!

From an old post - basically each to their own. Try the Revo 5 hour trial as that will give you an idea of performance, following on the CC is smoother. Also base it on where you have it done just incase you need any other work done, unless you are willing to travel the remap is your oyster!!

I've got a CC1 on my 225hp BAM MY02 S3 at 150k.

Had to have the ECU sent off to CC to have it done back In december but it was well worth the wait.

Reason: Tried the REVO trial and found it too agressive for my liking, a lot of fun but a bit too much. MTM/APR/AMD/Superchips/Jabba/MRC and the rest were bantered about. However trying to find on round here was tough so in the end I went for the CC as it was more local!

Performance: It takes off very well when you hit 3-3.5k and progressivly builds up the range. It is very smooth between shifts up and down and is a joy in 4th as it really does pull like a train. The torque does last all the way round and does help out in 6th. They reckon you get a about 20% increase so 260-270hp and 240-250lb/ft; I have to say it does now feel very quick and Porsche baiting has been quite amusing!

Fuel consumption: Hasn't been as bad as I thought. I mostly do B-Road driving plus motorways and the occasionaly A-Road. I give it a blast here and there probably 30% of the time but mostly just cruising. I get 28mpg before the remap it was 30mpg. Admittedly when I first got the remap it average 22mpg!!!

Problems since remap: Only one which is where I get a vag.com error of a boost leak somewhere; christ knows where as I have checked everything but thats another story. I have changed the MAF to a new one, cleaned the throttle body and have a spare set of coilpacks in the boot just in case, next is to change the DV then the N249 if the problem persists, in all cases the price for the part isn't too bad and the time to sort it isn't too long.

Mods: I have Samco TIP and Upper boost hoses which I think do help with the airflow. Have a standard DV and AirFilter which I will keep the same and will replace on a regular basis.

Advice: Need better brakes!!! I have had a few 'moments' that would have benefited with better brakes, I take heed from JoJo and 'Brake earlier!'

Cost: £380+VAT

Insurance: addtional £93.50 with Privilige

Others: Looking on the site and reading a post by Aky, you are able to download some software from CC website. This allows you to play with the parameters of the remap. I have downloaded it and yet to anything with as I am not totally sure of the consequeneces apart from fecking the engine up which no doubt I will probably do!

Eitherway getting a remap was the best thing I have done to the S3; just wish I did it sooner!!

Good luck

I'd have to say Revo. Had Revo on my last 3 cars and it works for me. Customer service is always exceptional, and they evolve their product.

All the established brands are pretty good, it depends on what car you own and where you live as much as anything else. Some people seem to do really well with a specific car model, but generally they are all various shades of the same colour.

I tried the free Revo trial and it was great, Paid the £556 at Aldon automotive and what a piece of *****. Both were done at Aldon so i dont know why the difference. Went back 4 times then gave up.

On my old 8L K04 BAM engined, i decided to go with CC from Midland VW. Jody was the blokes name, he knew his sh1t and did me proud so CC gets my vote.

This is my 2nd car with revo and i have had st1 and st2 on the a3,st2 is much more progressive with more top end(if set up properly with vagcom and sps3).No problems at all and with sps3 you can fine tune timing/boost to suit grade of fuel etc.Cheers Andy

The Audi S3 1.8T RRP is £446.50inc VAT but with the 30% discount we are offering comes to £312.55 all in :)

I hope this helps

Dave Mk.. are you in Mk ??

if so have a chat with Jon @ vag tech see if he can offer you a deal..

Thanks

revomike said:
Dave Mk.. are you in Mk ??

if so have a chat with Jon @ vag tech see if he can offer you a deal..

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Yes I am im MK going to see him tomorrow to see what he says!

Thanks

lol... down there tomo too getting some wheels on the other halfs car

Obviously Custom Code gets my vote every time too, and as per Revo, you can actually download free software which will enable you to slightly modify the map.

All in all is a FAR better product than Revo.

Dave_Bayern said:
Obviously Custom Code gets my vote every time too, and as per Revo, you can actually download free software which will enable you to slightly modify the map.

All in all is a FAR better product than Revo.

Could you list ALL the points that make CC FAR better than Revo please :laugh:

Dave_Bayern said:
Use the search button!!! :icon_thumright:

what an answer, from someone saying its FAR better but has no input when challenged.

Does the search button search your brain. I want your opinion as I'm clearly missing out.... i only have the mediocre Revo!

ChriS3 said:
The one closest to where you live!

I would go with this option also. Havn't personally tried a CC mapped S3 myself, but I can say that REVO has good torque in the mid range department and dies off slightly near the redline. My AmD stage1 is a bit smoother in power delivery, but doesn't tail off as much near the redline, butg I guess CC can adapt the map to your driving style.

s3ollie said:
what an answer, from someone saying its FAR better but has no input when challenged.

Does the search button search your brain. I want your opinion as I'm clearly missing out.... i only have the mediocre Revo!

I have LOADS of input, see the thing is, this question is like the 8v vs 16v on Golf Forums.

Its been asked so many times, and most people have said their say SO many times none of us can be bothered any more.

Long story short, if you want a seemingly fast road car that has an early torque spike but no top end, then use Revo. If you want a much faster version of OEM with a very wide usable torque band and slightly more Bhp then go custom code.

Its not as 'in your face' as Revo but for proper driving, like tracks and such, the Custom Code is a better product.

Dave_Bayern said:
Long story short, if you want a seemingly fast road car that has an early torque spike but no top end, then use Revo. If you want a much faster version of OEM with a very wide usable torque band and slightly more Bhp then go custom code.

Its not as 'in your face' as Revo but for proper driving, like tracks and such, the Custom Code is a better product.

I'm not getting this Dave...
Explain your thinking.

Some remaps are very aggressive low down - like my old S3 was...70 lb-ft to 330 lb-ft in a few hundred RPM...and making 275+ BHP top end - where top end is still 6500 RPM.

The turbo is the same, no matter who maps it...so a K04 still rund out of puff and can't sustain much more than 1 bar held to 6500+ RPM.

So...the quicker the car being the one with the larger area under the graph...how do you work out that some remaps (you mention REVO) have no top end...when they plainly have just as much top end as other re-maps, but WAY more lower mid-range?

I don't get it...

My answer, is that no one map is 'better' than any other...its all down to what you prefer and how you drive.

I like to throw my cars about...so a really aggressive map that gives silly high boost and mental torque allows me to get the Haldex working and make the car work harder...
So, a really aggressive torque delivery suited me...

Does that mean it has less top end than another re-mapped S3?
The evidence proves not...it just feels like it does because the lower mid-range was sooo strong.

So lets see...'proper driving'?
I'll define that as driving as hard as you can from A to B...be that a lap of a track, or along your favoirite back road...
Linear power delivery holding onto the revs - say 6500 in each gear, or huge torque delivery, and short shift up at 5500 RPM and let the 330+ lb-ft hurl you forward in the next gear?

Is one any less 'proper driving' than the other?
I don't recall it being about mercilessly revving an engine...merely driving to the strengths of the engine and chassis.

To which end, for some, the big boost spike/torque delivery of some (REVO perhaps...and my old map) will be the quicker option...no ifs or buts...it WILL be. Road or track.

You adapt your driving style to suit what you like, what the car does, how it performs best and what you find 'best'.
Some like VTEC and 9000 RPM+ (I do)
Others like TDIs and massive torque but changing up at 4000 RPM (I also do!)
And some find the S3 quickest when you have big torque low down...and only feel ther need to rev it to 5500-5700 RPM. (I did!)

The fact remains there is no right or wrong.
You choose what you like best.

But I'm still strugling to work out how a car with massive lower-midrange is less 'good'.

I see a debate on the horizon. lol

Christ, all I want is someone from Revo or custom code to e-mail back saying no probs with with the Auto tranny. I suspect given the above debate that REVO (low-mid range power) is the way to go for me as the Auto tranny changes well before it gets anywhere near the redline.....!!

Theres no debate needed, Glen just likes to post things contrary to what I say :)

Post up a graph from a Revo and a graph from a CC map and it'll be plain to see.

In fact, I believe prawn may have both as hes had both maps.

UKMKIVs.net has LOADS of info on it too, this board just tends to be rather short sighted as there is about 10 regular posters.

Dave_Bayern said:
Theres no debate needed, Glen just likes to post things contrary to what I say :)

Steady on...
normally you speak sense...but this time i'm struggling to see how of two cars, making similar top end power, the one with the more standard feeling (without a big boost spike and associated big torque peak) can be the more 'good' of the two?

Please explain...

Post up a graph from a Revo and a graph from a CC map and it'll be plain to see.

I've compared many, including mine...and still come up with the same thought:
The one with the bigger area under the graph, is the faster car.

How come basic laws of physics don't apply in this example?

UKMKIVs.net has LOADS of info on it too, this board just tends to be rather short sighted as there is about 10 regular posters.

But Dave...we aren't talking about a FWD A3 or Mk4 with their mind numbingly **** chassis...we are talking about an S3 (also with a mind numblingly **** standard chassis!) but still one that can make use of large torque peaks and turn it into a good thing (makes the Haldex work and brings the rear into play) as opposed to a FWD car that CAN'T handle the huge torque peak without vapourising it's front tyres.

So how does a re-map giving less midrange become the better car option, if the cars being re-mapped are equal?

Cant find any S3 with Revo graphs online, but went for second best and found a Leon Cupra R with Revo.
As Revo is a generic remap it should be almost the same as the Leon Cupra R engine is the same.
Actually it seems as if they must have resolved the instant torque spike that dropped back to nothing but its still a rubbish looking graph.
Ess, your comments above are assuming that the turbo always must have the same power available, and that its just distributed idfferent ways. Not so with a remap, especiall with generic ones as the engine will respond to different maps different ways.

So here is a K04 Revo map, anyone got a Custom Code K04 map from Awesomes rollers to compare?

revill1.jpg

Sorry Dave, I'd have to go along with Glen's comments too. Both maps make similar power, except one gives more low-end and usable torque. I've driven a few S3's with generic maps, and a few with custom maps. the difference is negliable. Infact, I prefer the torque-spike of the Revo as it makes the car faster in general without having to thrash the car all the time.

That graph looks like its making standard power. Are you sure you've put the right one up?

I'm not a fan of CC, purely based on some of their big ego comments about how much better they are compared to anyone else.

I'd say its down to personal choice. I've had Revo and yes its really good and torquey but I do prefer the smoothness of CC across the rev-range. Thats all I dare say on this matter.

i was guna have my car done soon now i'm rearly confused but does it mean that cc would be better on the life of say the clutch and haldex if its smoother and a revo map would alot harsher. cause i've just had a new clutch and flywheel done even with standard power it still smells but i've only done about 1500 miles on it so far.

I'm confused now too as I want a remap soon. A revo sounds like its making the engine/turbo and other parts work harder, my mate has an APR by Awesome and has had no problems on his 20VT Leon, its been on the car for two years now IIRC