Chris NottSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

will these lights fit

hi guys and girls,

will these fit m a3 its a 1997

model ..http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=014 ..

cheers chris
    S3 mods and tuning in progress

2. # ADS
    ADS

got boost

Status
    yep pretty sure mate think ya got to mod the wings a little on the inside a little tho ...
    1999 audi s3, silver recardo leather, lightly smoked windows,18" rs4 reps, full exhaust with de-cat, cold air induction, front mount intercooler, 13.850 1/4 mile @ 102 mph.A little vid on me running a 13.90
    http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MOV00019.flv
    xbox gamer tag jeffers999
    PS IM AFTER A CENTER ARM REST ASAP......
    Car collection
    Audi s3
    Vitara fat boy jeep soft top
    saxo vtr , little track toy
    polo 1.4 beast

1st Gear

Status
    dont mind cutting the wing

got boost

Status
    I dont mind watching either lol ,, im sure someone will be along soon with more info i could be wrong but i heard it takes a little cutting...
    1999 audi s3, silver recardo leather, lightly smoked windows,18" rs4 reps, full exhaust with de-cat, cold air induction, front mount intercooler, 13.850 1/4 mile @ 102 mph.A little vid on me running a 13.90
    http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MOV00019.flv
    xbox gamer tag jeffers999
    PS IM AFTER A CENTER ARM REST ASAP......
    Car collection
    Audi s3
    Vitara fat boy jeep soft top
    saxo vtr , little track toy
    polo 1.4 beast

vorsprung durch technik

Status
    i really wont some of them my self but the xenons any idea of the price of them i dont really wont the hid kit.

vorsprung durch technik

Status
    there was a post on this the other day with pics do a search on it.

Administrator

Status
    Yeah you have to cut away a little of the wing, nothing too taxing though...

As you look at the wing with the current lights installed; there's a 'crease' where it folds in behind the indicator portion; which comes to a small piece of wing that sits behind your indicator, that's the bit that needs to be trimmed. It's not difficult or particularly risky so long as you take your time and work to the rule "you can take it off but you can't put it back on" - once cut you'll just need to seal the bare metal on the cut edge to prevent rust; but you can use whatever you like to do that as the edge will be hidden.

You'll also need to make an adapter for the wiring, there are a couple of ways this can be done but again, nothing too tricky.

I'll try to find some pics/links...

Regards,

Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

Administrator

Status
    There were some pictures to go with this but they're no longer in his webspace; I'll try to find some more. This is probably the best way to do the wiring too as you don't end up modding anything on the car's wiring...

Regards,

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by RichA3Turbo
    The parts you need are:

Universal Yellow wires with crimped connectors - 000 979 133 (x4)
    Black 4 pin Plugs - 1J0 973 724 (x2).

Firstly, the wires come double ended, so you chop them in half, that gives you 8, 4 per side. For Main beam, dipped beam, side lights and Ground.

Now when you remove the old headlights, you will notice that the plug on the light unit is a twist fit, into the headlight itself. If you remove this, and the wiring from the old units, you use make a loom to save chopping the existing wiring in the vehicle. Its the safer option!!

First you need to make note of which color wire goes to which bulb so that you get it correct with the new ones. You will also need to do the same with the new units so you know which pin on the new plug, needs to go to which color on the old loom.

I chopped the bulb connectors off the old loom, and soldered them to the new wires, and the attached the new plug. protected the osldered joints with heatshrink, and then wrapped the entire loom in self amalgamating tape to waterproof it.

This connects to the OEM loom, and then you simply plug it into the new headlight housing.

Removing the material from the inner wing is easy enough. I used an angle grinder with a cutting disk to remove the majority of the material, and then used a grinding disc to smooth it all and finish it up. I suggest using hammerite to rust proof the raw metal as you dont want it rusting!
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

Administrator

Status
    Some more info (and pictures) on the wing-trimming...

Regards,

Rob.

headlight upgrade help

1st Gear

Status
    FactionOne many thanks mate realy helpfull will try and do a deal with the guy and collect them tomorrow

4th Gear

Status
    what did you guys do regarding the change position of the lower screw on the headlight? did you make a bracket?
    8P S3

6th Gear

Status
    I found that because of the way i trimmed the wing, the headlight sits in very tight anyway, so it only needs the 2 screws at the top to hold it firm.
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    hello mate, I hope this helps, more pictures on what to do and how to get it right.

headlight upgrade, is this the right choice...?