Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Cool Brembo Brakes & Stage 1 upgrade

Hi i see a few of you have gone for the brembo GT brake upgrades i'm wondering how you have found them and if there worth it ? I do a quite a few mile each week motorway and town and so i'm wondering if i gone for the right ones? I've got black diamond on there at the mo but there crap on the motorway especially a high speed they over heat so easy. Plus i'm going down to AMD for a stage 1 upgrade and i'm after some feed back so far so good they've returned all my calls and been very good. All feed back will be very grateful.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    They are well worth it...
    You can fit any make of uprated pads and drilled/grooved discs...and stikll fall well short of the performance of the Brembos.

A very good mod.

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    The Brembos ARE better than any 312mm single piston setup but if you think Black Diamonds overheat then you must be referring to the pads and not the discs.

The discs are pretty much the single best 312mm discs you can buy as a standard upgrade.

The pads are awful.

There isnt anything in 312mm better than BD discs (grooved) and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Except for DB discs and Ferodo 3000 pads.
    <Insert meaningless geeky specs here>

Aky
    Aky

Status
    My Brembo's are sound. Never had fade and never let me down (touch wood) The only thing I'm now finding is the pads last about 1/2 as long but saying that the amount of pad in the first place seems to be less than an OEM type pad. I got mine 2nd hand off Pistonheads. They'd only been used for 500 miles - think a track day coz the discs were warped. They cost &#163;450 and I got Brembo to replace the discs FOC

6th Gear

Status
    stock brembo discs warp all too easy. Expensive to replace too

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    I'll agree with that.

Brembo in some respect, for the road going stuff are like Technics.

People who dont know anything about hi fi think Technics are good, and they are better than Akai and Matsui, but people who know about Hi Fi wouldnt touch Technics with a barge pole.

We used to buy Brembo kits but had 20 seperate incidents of warped discs in one year, which was enough for us to change supplier and buy AP Racing instead.

Not one problem with AP Racing 3 years and about 300 kits on......

4th Gear

Status
    ive got a remap and the brembo GT kit, no problem with warping/judder etc.

very good mod, but then i dont drive my car hard or track it

Aky
    Aky

Status
    I drive mine hard and my new discs have not warped in 8000 miles. Maybe I'm not driving it hard enough

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I warped a pair in under 2k miles! :cry: Not had the probem since running solid Cupra R items though.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

6th Gear

Status
    just ordered some ebc ultramax discs and ferodo ds 2500 pads

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by simch
    ebc ultramax discs
    Ew. Can you cancel your order?

The Ferodos will destroy EBC discs in about 3 seconds....

6th Gear

Status
    Not according to Badger 5 Bill. He reckons they are better than the oem brembo discs and has been selling a lot of them. He was sceptical at first mind you.

6th Gear

Status
    Ive got the Brembo kit on my S3 and tbh... I think my mk2 golf stops better. The first stop is great from the brembos. ( brembo discs/ Ds2500 pads) is great and pulls up well. But after that... The pedal stays hard but the car doesnt stop very well. Ive changed the discs to a set with the ATE power groove design and... no change. I changed the pads again... no change last thing i tryed was a race type fluid and... you guessed it. NO CHANGE

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul
    Ive got the Brembo kit on my S3 and tbh... I think my mk2 golf stops better. The first stop is great from the brembos. ( brembo discs/ Ds2500 pads) is great and pulls up well. But after that... The pedal stays hard but the car doesnt stop very well. Ive changed the discs to a set with the ATE power groove design and... no change. I changed the pads again... no change last thing i tryed was a race type fluid and... you guessed it. NO CHANGE
    I can only dream of my mk2 stopping better than my S3 bud....

6th Gear

Status
    i think you should get your set up checked, could be a dodgy master cylinder.

jcb
    6th Gear

Status
    I was warned against EBC discs due to wear and warping, I sent them back before using them just in case.

6th Gear

Status
    My mk2 realy could out stop the S3 . Much more confidence (sp) in it. EVERYTHING on the S3 set up has been check and found to be spot on. On a brake test at mot time it nearly swung the "decellaromiter " (sp) over past its stops.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    My mk2 realy could out stop the S3 . Much more confidence (sp) in it. EVERYTHING on the S3 set up has been check and found to be spot on. On a brake test at mot time it nearly swung the "decellaromiter " (sp) over past its stops.

I'm suprised by that, but my mk2 doesn't have ABS but the S3 has, so I find my S3 more confident, cos the wheels won't lock up, but I don't ever recall having the ABS kick in with my driving style. I have locked the mk2 brakes up on the odd occasion though....

As for testing the brakes with a decellaromiter for the MOT, did they now have use of a set of rollers?

The S3 is a heavy car though, and I can feel the weight transfer during braking, but the mk2 is much lighter, so hardly dives, maybe that's the confidence you are on about?

6th Gear

Status
    The MOT place said as it was AWD they wouldnt put it on the rollers.?!?
    Im not sure about that but they fitted the decellaromiter and away they went...

I think maybe the weight of the S3 is a problem for me as my mk2 is stipped out . Before my S3 i had a VR6 golf with a supercharger that was around the 270hp mark and i fitted S3/tt brakes to that and it felt as good as my S3 now at stopping more than once from speed.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    The MOT place said as it was AWD they wouldnt put it on the rollers.?!?
    Im not sure about that but they fitted the decellaromiter and away they went...

It's not permanant 4wd, it's ok to do the brake test on the brake rollers, if you have ESP, switch it off before doing the brake test.