When does the turbo kick in?

spannah

Reaction score
A3 1.8T (150bhp)

Guys when does the turbo actually kick in, i am thinking 3000rpm but other people say its 2500rpm.

Basically just so i know how i should be driving it after boosting it around and about to park up. i usually stop going above 3000rpm 10minutres before about to park up.

The turbo doesn't just spool with revs. It has to do with the load placed on the engine which gets translated to the wastegate via the N75 valve.

What I'm saying is, its possible to drive the car above 3000rpm and still not have the turbo spool if you are light on the throttle, for the final cool down period. So concentrate on driving the car lightly if that makes sense.

Agree totally with HTC...

The relationship is more to do with throttle-position changes and waste-gate/recirc behaviour than it is rpm and waste-gate/re-circ, the latter is a very common misconception and over-simplification of it...

Put into more basic language... If you're stamping on the accelerator the turbo will be used, but if you're super-gentle with the pedal, it's quite possible for it not to be...

Regards,

Rob.

Ahhhhhh okkkk, i now understand. Thanks for the feedback guys, just goes to show really i am light on the pedal anyway.

Excellent guys always much appreciated.