Awesome sound!!!

Its the carbon airbox that does it mate, and an uprated DV
Something like a BMC CDA with a forge 007P would do it bud

sounds a bit 'max power' to me though

It sounds like that because there is no piping going up to the big fake carbon filter - not a clever thing to do

Why whats wrong with that? i suppose it has got a bit of a max power vibe going on but i like it!

How hot do you think your engine bay is?

and where do u think that air is going to go with a filter like that fitted?

I understand what your saying dude, i wasnt saying whats wrong with having no piping, i meant whats wrong with the way it sounds from what isaac said!

Nevdog02 said:
Why whats wrong with that?

It sounds terrible IMO, Why draw attention to yourself as you drive around? Far 'too max-power' stylee I'm afraid. I'd have to laugh at a car I heard making noises like that.

It doesnt add any extra performance, put the money toward something that does!

Issac Hunt said:
It sounds terrible IMO, Why draw attention to yourself as you drive around? Far 'too max-power' stylee I'm afraid. I'd have to laugh at a car I heard making noises like that.

It doesnt add any extra performance, put the money toward something that does!

If anything it'l loose performance sucking all that hot air in!

ash_s3 said:

Exactly! I must getting old or something but if that car came down my street making that racket, my first thought wouldnt be 'ohh thats sounds cool' it would simply be '****'.

Yeh you must be getting a bit old then dude, Ive just just gone 20 see so thats probably why i like the louder sounds...

Why? Do people think anyone is impressed by noisy intakes/exhausts?

They aren't, they just laugh.

All noise and no extra performance, quite probably even a reduction in performance - what is the point?

Why not spend your cash making your car faster or handle better instead? A much better investment!

who said anything about impressing people? do you think it would bother me if people laugh as long as i think it sounds nice?? you dont usually do things to suit other people. Yeh you turned 21.....and?

Issac Hunt said:
Exactly! I must getting old or something but if that car came down my street making that racket, my first thought wouldnt be 'ohh that sounds cool' it would simply be '****'.

^^^^lol, I agree.^^^

Don't do it, its attention seeking imo.

There are other more beneficial mods out there, choose wisely my friend.

Another vote for "****" here.

Loud cars are fine, e.g. TVR with full straight through or an EVO I know of that's running anti-lag 400+bhp and pops, bangs and produces flames like a *******.

cheap and nasty blow off noises make me think chav and / or ****.

ps. I got my S3 when I was just 22 and I didn't ever feel the need to make it sound like like an RS Turbo that's been made "wikid".

Turbo spool I like. Subtle, and just appeals to the gear head in me. But I don't want to here the waste air escaping. I can't fully describe why....its just unpleasant to my ears.

If you want good car noise, then IMO you just have to get a car with more cylinders. "V" anything should work.

I can never work chavs out...they rev their cars several times to get them to move forward, so that we can hear the exhaust note? as said we just think '****'.... why ruin a perfectly good car with such cheap chaviness...you will look like an idiot....my mates got a fully speced x plate impreza....quick car, but thats it..... if we went on the pull who do you think would end up with a hairy pie....not bein funny but its equivalent to buying a ferrari and putting silver halfords mirrors on it....why would you do that??? or go to the next extreme and do what they do in chesterfield, buy a lambo to put a nova engine in....god sakes man...we're trying to do you a favour....

I must be the only "chav" here i think.

I have a BMC CDA with a 007P and i like the noise it makes.

I have a custom exhaust too but its way too loud for my liking, having that changed soon!

The best bit about owning a turbo car is the turbo spool up sound just my opinion though!

Jason

Nevdog02 said:
who said anything about impressing people? do you think it would bother me if people laugh as long as i think it sounds nice?? you dont usually do things to suit other people.
Exactly,if you like it,go for it.Its your money spend it on what makes you happy.

I dont see a problem with these sounds if they serve a purpose IE more power. If the parts are there just for the noise and there are no other mods to compliment them then that is sad in the sense of attention seeking

agree with bong aswell lol.... not bein funny but to go back up a few comments..... yes this is this fellas money..... and yes he will get opinions on this...after all, thats what hes asked for, 1st in joining the forum and then by displaying at the top of this thread.....not sure if im getting the wrong end of the stick here (James in particular)

ash_s3 said:

Not wanting to get involved in this argument, however i was once told by a mechanic that having an open cone filter sucking in hot air on a turbo, isnt so much of a problem as it passes through an intercooler anyway. or 2 in the s3's case. just what i have been told. dont shoot the messenger :meeting:

neither do i know, or care. panel filter and standard air box for me :rockwoot:

they make a noise for one reason to be heard, mine dose it with the cold air intake kit and i loves it

guss im a chav with my 6oz of gold and the pishh lol

I have an awkward stance to take on this. I have to confess my daily drive is no longer an audi, its an alternative German motor.. (but the sort that does have indicators fitted).
It has a 4.3 V8, producing around 300HP now and bags of torque - a number of mods later and I had it handling and stopping much better than standard, but it had this stupid ultra-quiet exhaust as standard, and I do like to hear what's going on..
so quite some while ago, I imported from germany an Eisenmann race-spec stainless exhaust, and now it sounds simply fabulous whether cruising (quietish but a great V8 rumble) or putting the foot down, where it is just such an awesome sound (and very, very loud), and yes, pops and bangs a bit on the overrun (but not too much, its still very smooth.)

It does draw a lot of attention, more than I had in mind originally, but it's all been positive.. the sound and video clips I watched before purchase did not do the volume justice, but its just awesome, never ever had a loud exhaust before but I absolutely love it.

Ive loved quick cars for a long time - I'm over 40 now and had many - but this is the first 'loud' mod ever and after over 30k miles with the new one I still grin whenever i ahve my window down and open the throttle! Have never had a '****' comment, (yet) but have had countless people ask about the engine, exhaust, the lot, especially when they hear it start up. It doesnt have that tinny chav sound at all..

However - previous poster had it right - a loud exhaust that merely emphasises what is already a fabulous engine note on a big V8 is music to the soul, and why cars like the TVRs are intended to have this. But - that noise in the youtube clip in the first post is just plain nasty and completely unfair to the car, belongs only in Halfords carpark on a motor trying to be something it aint...

IMHO, of course!

not audi, but relevant; Eisenmanns on big V8s, maybe you'll see what I mean!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p2kBBU_tcU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ZIOvLCGvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFOJVF-xnkU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzF5InT1k8w

Renntech sound much nicer IMO, more of a bark!!

c16wko said:
Not wanting to get involved in this argument, however i was once told by a mechanic that having an open cone filter sucking in hot air on a turbo, isnt so much of a problem as it passes through an intercooler anyway. or 2 in the s3's case. just what i have been told. dont shoot the messenger :meeting:

neither do i know, or care. panel filter and standard air box for me :rockwoot:

Have to intervien here.

Does the S3 have an intercooler before the compressor? and one after?

If there is not intercooler before the compressor the the machanic is talking ****

Simple laws of thermodynamics :idea: , the power required for a compressor is exponential with the intake temperature. ie hotter the intake air the lower the boost.

The intercooler will have hotter air entering and a lower pressure therefore it will be slightly hotter exiting, so that results in hotter air into the engine amd less power from the crankshaft as the engine pumping will also be slightly be less as well and the pressure ratio much less . From this intake you could probably loose from up to even 5% (worse case probably near 2%) of your power for the same cost in fuel.

Tell me the boost you get and I can have a stab at the difference in power loss in more detail, anyone got a map of the TC might also help (not essential).

By the way I can't understand how a 20 year old can even get insurance for a tuned S3. when I was 20 my 2.0 NA 140bhp engine cost me £1200 (2 year bonues and pass plus) with half the power, that was quite a few years ago now insurance has gone up a lot since then.

As you get older you get more annoyed by loud "twats" :weight_lift2: - completely agree :shutup2: . But when you still youngish there is a tendency to like making the noise the noise, perhaps its a confidence thing having to be noticed :rockwoot: . I can't say I have ever possesed this aggrovating **** off the neghbourhood :jump: tendency :keule: . Thank god the majority of the population get older they get wiser and improve their taste:icon_thumright: .

I guess everyones taste is different, it would be a shame to ruin an S3 by "max powering" it, but its his money (or perhaps not).:no:

Nice sound from the merc, my old man had a 500SL it didn't sound anything like that. Hes got a 3200 GT now and that sounds much better and is soo much faster I think the SL was 0-60 6.1 and the GT is 4.9 (or something near that mark) I think is got a better mpg as well.

Jon