immediate help needed (cluster related)

patrick swayze

Reaction score
so my gauge cluster for all intents and purposes is dead.

none of the gauges work, the center mfa display does however still work, but aside from that nothing else does.

i sent it to a plave here in america to get repaired but they were unable to make the needed repairs.....

so what i was hoping is that someone on here could be my hero and help me out with finding another cluster.

i have a south america/mexico left hand drive 2000 audi a3 that was inmported to the united states, so needless to say, getting parts is a nightmare.

thanks in advance

tim

The main issue you're going to have (unless the cluster is brand new) is coding-it to your immobiliser... I think they can be recoded once (so long as the mileage is going upwards), but you'll need an SKC to access the Immobiliser to do it...

...Unless you're lucky enough to have the white plastic tag that goes with the keys (which has a scratch-off panel on the inside with an old-style 4-digit SKC) you're going to need a dealer to install and code the clocks.

Out of interest, do you have any idea what 'the needed repairs' were that the place you took them to couldn't make?

Regards,

Rob.

luckily i know people at the local dealership so im hoping the swap will go smoothly.

the woman that i spoke with on the phone wasn't able to really give me much information other than that they couldn't fix it. i may call again tomorrow just to try to get to what the problem was.

If you PM me your chassis number/sales-type number I could probably find out the part number you need? (Although I guess you could get that from your buds at the dealership, but I'm happy to have a look if you want). Once you've got that I guess it's a case of hunting around for somewhere that has one at lower cost than the main dealer!

Probably worth that phone call, after all if they highlighted an issue that they couldn't repair it would maybe give the impression that at least it 'might' be repairable?

Regards,

Rob.

actually, i think the cluster still has the original part number on it, but as far as any oem parts go my local dealer has been of no help what so ever.

ive been searching online for this part for awhile now just in case with no luck, so i finally gave in and asked for help.

So are you looking to purchase a brand new unit or a used item. I think if you are willing to pay there would be a number of people willing to get the part for you and ship it over.

HTC said:
So are you looking to purchase a brand new unit or a used item. I think if you are willing to pay there would be a number of people willing to get the part for you and ship it over.

either one, used preferably assuming it works 100% and is cheaper.

As HTC said, I'm sure enough of us would be willing to lend a hand... By the sound of things he might, and I wouldn't mind either...

Perhaps if you post up the part number of the cluster you need - or again, as above, the 'sales type' of your car from the vehicle data sticker (6 character code starting 8L) and your current mileage (so people can look out for one the same or lower which can be correctly coded) the search can get under way!

Might be worth firing off a quick query to www.breakeryard.com to see if they can source something too?

Regards,

Rob.

FactionOne said:
As HTC said, I'm sure enough of us would be willing to lend a hand... By the sound of things he might, and I wouldn't mind either...

Perhaps if you post up the part number of the cluster you need - or again, as above, the 'sales type' of your car from the vehicle data sticker (6 character code starting 8L) and your current mileage (so people can look out for one the same or lower which can be correctly coded) the search can get under way!

Might be worth firing off a quick query to www.breakeryard.com to see if they can source something too?

Regards,

Rob.

heres the part number.

8L0920930G

im not sure what it converts to kilometers but its about 55k miles.