Handling of and S3

DaveMK^

Reaction score
I bought the S3 knowing it handles like a tank but I was informed of ways to improve on this, what is everyone fitting?

I plan on getting it all done in one go so if someone can write out a list and prices that would be a great help.

Cheers

H&R Anti-roll bars front and rear
H&R / Eibach Lowering springs - 30mm ish
Bilstein shock absorbers
KW adjustable tie-bars to compensate the lowering - puts your camber right again.
Polybushes

All are just for a guide mate, depends on your budget, if you can afford them go for coilovers
PM DPM on here for a good package deal

Ash

have a read of Ess_Three's threads at the top of the page!

Don't fit poly bushes to the front wishbones, I've ended up taking mine off because they're already knackered (quicker than the stock bushes).

It really depends on how you drive it and how much you want to spend. The standard car isn't bad but it certainly could have come out of the factory a lot better! If you want something rock hard go for Coilovers. I spent £1000 upgrading to Koni FSD's, eibach springs and Neuspeed 22mm front and 19mm rear (after speaking to Essthree). The shocks have variable valves so about 5% stiffer unless you are pressing on and they get stiffer where required. I presonally think the handling on my car has improved vastly and it was money well spent. Don't forget that if you go too low you will need tie bars on the rear. These cost about £300 and are a must!

I had the ARB's fitted at the same time so I'm not sure of the improvement but I'm sure they are a lot better, the car does not wallow from side to side like it did previously and it doesn't feel like you are going to end up in the passenger seat!

If you are anywhere near Bradford you are welcome to have a ride in my motor.

Tie bars were a must on my old S3 and it was only lowered 30mm, the camber was miles out and made it eat tyres for breakfast!!

ash_s3 said:
Tie bars were a must on my old S3 and it was only lowered 30mm, the camber was miles out and made it eat tyres for breakfast!!

I think anything over 15-20mm would need tie bars

I'm buying Bilstein shocks, when I get a good price I'll let you know, not too keen on coilovers, as been there and done that with previous cars. I'll go for the ARB's when funds allow, the fitting on the front is quite expensive.