MAF Problem???

craigsy

Up North...
Reaction score
Website
www.djstore.com
Hi guys,

I got my S3 last week (2001 210BHP AMK) and i'm loving it apart from a slight problem when accelerating, it doesn't always happen, but sometimes it has a bit of a hesitation- almost a bit 'jumpy' and i've only really noticed it mainly in 2nd gear and a couple of times in 3rd. It always seems to be just over 2000rpm it happens if that helps?!

One of my mates said it could be the MAF and i just wandered if this is indeed the most likely cause.

I bought the car from a local garage so this should be covered under warranty, just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

Cheers

Craig

As I have just found out, it could be a number of things. Most people will say a coilpack on the way out. But, it could equally be an injector, etc. Vagcom might help...

Good luck,

a fellow Craig

If it's a MAF it'll more than likely feel a bit like the car is hitting a wall for a few seconds then the power seems to appear again.

If it's stuttering then it could easily be a coilpack as said, but the best thing to do really is to get it on vagcom and see if anything comes up.

As the guys have said, VAG-COM would probably be quite useful to you in this case as there's quite a list of possibilities for these 'hesitations' - I guess it's fair to say as you're noticing them consistently before you come on boost that the list of suspects in your case will be shorter though. Coilpack is a favourite but I guess MAF is worth considering too. There's a (slightly sketchy) way to check the MAF though - simply unplug it and take the car for a spin. If it's completely knackered you might find the car responds better overall; if it's on its way out it'll probably feel flatter but with (hopefully) no hesitation. If symptoms persist I'd lean towards coilpack - but still worth checking with VAG-COM.

Worth noting though that driving around with the MAF unplugged will throw an engine management light - it's been a while since I've driven with mine unplugged so I can't remember if this goes out again when you plug it back in (I'm sure someone will advise though) - VAG-COM can clear it if not.

Regards,

Rob.