s3 clutch options

Splab333

Reaction score
hey everyone, i am having my broken gearbox fixed and while its off, im thinking it would be wise to fit a new clutch, i have tried the search but with no really helpful results, can anyone recomend the options i have for new clutch kits? what to buy and how much will it cost??? Also, where is best to buy?

The car is standard at the moment but it will be re mapped in the near future and maybe more to follow, including a big turbo conversion........
It would be helpful to find out torque limits of the various kits available too if anyone knows them??? many thanks, james

Hi,

Your options range from just replacing the friction plate. You can go paddle or organic continuous friction. Paddle is very good but a bit harsh and delicate if used badly.
Normally I would recomend changing the pressure plate and release bearing at the same time.
The biggest cost is usually the labour, but you have got your gearbox off already. We have gearboxes in stock if yours is going to be expensive to rebuils.
The top of the range is a lightened flywheel clutch kit. Great clutches and great throttle response over dual mass flywheel. They usually rattle quite bad on tickover, but the noise should dissappear when you press the clutch pedal.

Hope that helps?

Best Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport.

okay, but that's not actually talking about specific options, I'm not sure if you can but if you could post up some specific examples and costs of each option that would be great?

I'm personally thinking about an uprated clutch and single mass flywheel but can't seem to find too much info about, the most I've been able to see is for the 1.8t cars sold in the states and they seems to have loads of kits to choose from.

Someone is selling an uprated clutch on the TT forum. Not sure whether it is the same part number for the S3 (I'm just assuming so)