Aerials - A little help please!

S3 Wannabe

Reaction score
Hi all!!!

Need a new aerial for my s3, went down to halfords today and (even though they fitted) none of theirs seem to work. okay they were specified fpr other makes of car, but what is the difference???

they couldn't even order me one in, my local dealer wants 41 quid for one.

I know some poeple have got some off ebay for about a tenner inc postage.

but what is the major difference between aerials on makes of cars?? surely its just a piece of wire??!! confused....:think:

hi mate if you have changed the head unit you will need a aerial booster

i got a spare if you want one dont know what there worth make me an offer

i had this problem, ended up getting one off ebay, said it was original.... got it..... and was aftermarket..... looking back, they were all of this type...... if you want original you'll have to go to Audi or chris:eek:)

i put a civic type r arial on mine (same as normal civic but just said type r so you know what shape civic) its alot smaller and looks alot better! :thumbsup:

I had a type r aerial on my old S3. Cost me £20 from Honda.

Anyone wants its, they can have it for a tenner posted. Its as new. :eek:)

I got a shorter b-sting type of ebay and it works fine, when I changed my standard head unit to the Alpine X001 I needed a special piece of kit to add power to the aerial.

If you are using your standard head unit you should be fine with any aerial that fits, the shorter you go though, the signal will get worse.

many thanks to those of you who have replied. but my question still remains, what is the difference between the aerials???

I have an 02 plate s3 with factory fitted sat nav, (not the rnse or rnsd lcd display jobs) so th eaerial screws in to a fin on the back.

danclarke said:
i put a civic type r arial on mine (same as normal civic but just said type r so you know what shape civic) its alot smaller and looks alot better! :thumbsup:

Any pics? The prob I have is the seal around the base too :( So I need the full kit from Audi anyhow I think

MgHart said:
Try Martyn at VAGparts, they do an aerial repair kit for seals etc...

Mike

Is it an actual Audi part, I read someone it fits OK, but not an A1 fit?

if you have the factory sat-nav, the only difference is the base, as thats the bit that contains the GPS receiver.

Otherwise, I would have thought that any aerial from the VAG range would have fitted. Try a VW garage, they will probably be cheaper.

keendean said:
Is it an actual Audi part, I read someone it fits OK, but not an A1 fit?

If you are refering to me. It fits fine, but the base was slightly smaller than the original part and the the ariel seems to fit slightly more upright.

ICE

pics of civic arial

SP_A0053.jpg

Picture007.jpg

I had to replace all of my aerial after it got ripped off... vagparts were spot on. Cost about £40 though but audi wanted £60+

Quick question to those who've replaced their antenna - do you need to remove the interior roof lining to do it or can you access it through the rear courtesy lights etc?

Thanks.

SimonP said:
Quick question to those who've replaced their antenna - do you need to remove the interior roof lining to do it or can you access it through the rear courtesy lights etc?

Thanks.

if you mean the aerial only it is bolt on...just unscrew from the top. 10sec job

thanks again to all of you who have replied! My question still remains though!!!

What is the difference between car aerial of audi, say with renault???? why did the aerial fit perfectly down at halfords but not give me any reception at all???

what technically is the difference in the way they're made???? cannot fathom this one and it's doing my head in! :wacko:

S3 Wannabe said:
thanks again to all of you who have replied! My question still remains though!!!

What is the difference between car aerial of audi, say with renault???? why did the aerial fit perfectly down at halfords but not give me any reception at all???

what technically is the difference in the way they're made???? cannot fathom this one and it's doing my head in! :wacko:

no difference.

did you change or remove your headunit? it might be that the aerial wiring is not not plugged in properly.

abdus said:
no difference.

did you change or remove your headunit? it might be that the aerial wiring is not not plugged in properly.

cheers dude. no change on the headunit, will double check th wiring!:icon_thumright:

SimonP said:

Thanks.

If you have to replace the whole base aswell as the aerial like I did you can access the bolt by removing the rear interior light... it just pops out... use a flat bladed screw driver.. its abit of a fiddle but only took me about 20min. Its worth putting a cable tie round the wire tho just to stop if from disappearing down into the roof lining!:idea:

right now I'm really confused! have an aerial that fits nicely from halfords, checked the rear of the stereo, all fine there, checked the wiring up to the aerial (via rear pass lights) all looks good, yet a very very crap reception!

any ideas???? gonna phone audi tomorrow to see if anything is so special about this 41 quid areial they quoted me. I have factory fitted sat nav, but cannot see how this would make any difference.

:think:

I "believe" that the areial of factory fitted sat nav units require power and have an extra connector. See what Audi say.

ICE

pics of civic arial

SP_A0053.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old post but i have the same base unit as on this S3, my rubber has perished and the ones off vagparts are for the other type of aerial. any idea where i can get this from? also how to fit? i can take the base off, but the base and wire are one piece and you cant slide the rubber over it.

Ive changed mine for a vagparts one twice now mate, my aerial is exactly the same as above. The wire is connected direct to the base but there is a connector about six inches down the wire (towards the passenger side) where it can be split to allow the base to be removed and a new rubber slid over the wire.

I fitted the first one just after getting the car, it lasted about three years and the second one earlier this year. Remember they are rubber and will perish mate. Bearing in mind my cars a 2002 and i bought it in 2005, so the original Audi one lasted three years, so the VagParts ones last just aswell as the originals

dont understand this at all, my 99 plate car lasted me 6 years and it was still spot on when i sold it.... (the seal that is)

Ive just purchased a repair kit from vagparts. Mines a 2003 and from the look of it, its been on the car since new.

I think it was the very cold weather here which finally made mine crack.

I saved myself a few bob by conveniently switching my aerial with my dads Honda.

Its a straight swap and looks much better on my A3.

Now his Civic has a longer aerial, but he doesnt mind in the slightest :)

okies just changed my aerial and base for the vag parts bit - the base appears to be smaller and has two cables coming from it, the first is the aerial coax cable, the other appears to be a red cable that looks like an amplifier..... my original doesnt have this? ...strange as the packet had a genuine Audi sticker on it.....

Also what an **** of a job getting the middle roof trim back on!! i had to bend the flaps back to get it to sit correctly without wanting to take the side trim off completely..... pain!!

Tim