JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
    s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6

Status

BMC CDA carbon air box

hey guys would anyone be interested in my BMC air filter? Im changing back to the standard air box, this is the air filter
    http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...html?id=505232

Any offers?

Xbox online id - supaed133

2. # ADS
    ADS

Aky
    Aky

Status
    £15 delivered?

2nd Gear

Status
    lol-Goodluck with that offer Aky
    A3 3.2 Q SPORT DSG Now...Edition 30 Golf GTI

Status
    not quite the offer i was looking for seeing as its only 3 months old and done about 800miles! Ilm looking for around 100.00 or make me an offer
    Last edited by edward_harris; 19th January 2008 at 11:06.

Reverse Gear

Status
    why are you going back to standard?

A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!

Status
    because im guessin theres no actual gains to be hand from this item... better off sticking with a standard box and a performance panel filter IMO

Daz - Audi A3 - 18" rs4 alloys - Weitec ultra gt 30mm kit - pipercross panel filter - tints all round - facelight rear lights - clear side repeaters - german style plates - flip out dvd touchscreen hu

Status
    because on my car (big turbo) when it get to high revs it collapses the air intake. Its fine on standard / remapped cars but not on mine apparantly. so i have to go back to the standard air box. Mean i dont get the noise i had but oh well!

6th Gear

Status
    How can the airbox cause the inlet pipe to collapse? Dont get that at all and cannot see how stock box can help?
    Having said that I have heard of the BMCs causing flow issues with the IHIs maybe due to vortex flow issues from the circular box.

2nd Gear

Status
    Does the BMC flow well and suit and Mapped S3 with Miltek? Is there no performance gains at all?

Aky
    Aky

Status
    Surely its a new TIP thats required?

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    the TIP collapsing is definately not something that is exacerbated by different air intakes unless one is flowing more than another, which is something we are told isnt the case.
    <Insert meaningless geeky specs here>

Status
    Well i dont know but thats what aps told me, also they spoke to MRC who are also taking all there bmc kits of there big turbo cars!

Aky
    Aky

Status
    What TIP do you have Ed? Is it standard or a Forge/Samco type intake pipe? I've heard OEM are prone to collapsing

Status
    its a samco one, they had the same problem with the standard air box when i had the oem tip, but then they changed it to the samco one and it was fine. but when i put the bmc on it started doing it again!

Aky
    Aky

Status
    Would this help?
    Neuspeed 1.8T Turbo Intake Pipe
    Designed as a direct replacement for your factory steel pipe that leads air into the turbocharger. Neuspeed's high flow design flows almost 70% more aire than the factory inlet pipe. When combined with a free-flow exhaust system, the Neuspeed inlet pipe can add up to 5hp to your engine. NEUSPEED's inlet pipe is an O.E. quality aluminum casting that retains all the stock mounting provisions -- not a crude cut-an-weld piece.

TitleAwesome Part #PriceNeuspeed Turbo Intake Pipe <2000EN-TU-18T-NEU-INTPIPE-EARLY&#163;145Neuspeed Turbo Intake Pipe 2001>EN-TU-18T-NEU-INTPIPE-LATE&#163;145

Status
    anyone tried these? It seems to be all ok now, just waiting on a standard dump valve to fit. Should be with me by tuesday then see what it makes on the rollers!

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Aky
    Would this help?
    Thats not the part that collapses, as metal pipes rarely collapse :-)

The part that collapses is the rubber part that attaches to the part you have in the pic above.

Normally, the Forge or Samco ones do not collapse at all, however, the Forge ones should be marginally better, maybe, as they actually designed them and sold the rights to Samco to use their design.

That said, maybe they just cant cope with the amount of air you are flowing Ed?

If that is so, then they must be suggesting that the standard airbox will flow LESS air and therefore why would they want that?

4th Gear

Status
    ed or anyone else have you thought about trying AEM dry filter cone. seem pretty good! not too expensive, possibly need to make a heat shield but thats easy enough!

S3 - Gone but not forgotten!

hud at ye bam

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edward_harris
    because on my car (big turbo) when it get to high revs it collapses the air intake. Its fine on standard / remapped cars but not on mine apparantly. so i have to go back to the standard air box. Mean i dont get the noise i had but oh well!

I think someone's been telling you stories. If you have a big turbo, I'm guessing you have a silicone or metal TIP? If you're running the standard TIP, then just drop a metal sleeve in there. They will flow better than a standard airbox over 330-350bhp so you'd be best to have it mapped to suit if you're above that.

Quote Originally Posted by keendean
    Does the BMC flow well and suit and Mapped S3 with Miltek? Is there no performance gains at all?
    It flows as good as you'd need if you're mapped with a milltek. There's slight increases at lower rpm's, but overall the peak power figures are generally unaffected. Personally, I think it sound the dogs in my S3 but I've never really noticed any difference in my mates LCR with the same engine.
    [/sarcasm]

hud at ye bam

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sitrials
    ed or anyone else have you thought about trying AEM dry filter cone. seem pretty good! not too expensive, possibly need to make a heat shield but thats easy enough!

Heat sheilds never really work around airfilters. They keep direct heat away from the cone, but you're still sucking in air from the engine bay. Better off with a CAI or standard.
    [/sarcasm]

Aky
    Aky

Status
    I had a listen to a golf with a Carbonio CAI yesterday whilst at Awesome getting my exhaust fitted. They sound a good, I can imagine a little tiresome after a while and a little chavy!

In two minds

Status
    My mate has a carbonio on his Leon Cupra 20VT, it sounds like Darth Vader with a cold. Sorry but people like to throw the chav comment about as much as possible, it sounds modified and purposeful, not chavvy, the distinct noise of a atmospheric dump valve can be chavvy sometimes, depends on the car and the driver and the reason for the dump valve though

MOSES

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong Water
    My mate has a carbonio on his Leon Cupra 20VT, it sounds like Darth Vader with a cold. Sorry but people like to throw the chav comment about as much as possible, it sounds modified and purposeful, not chavvy, the distinct noise of a atmospheric dump valve can be chavvy sometimes, depends on the car and the driver and the reason for the dump valve though
    so whats better then... The Carbonio or the BMC? I also have the Forge 007p DV. Would/ will you hear that at all through these?

1.8t,AUM,Ming blue,Forge TIP,Forge silicone turbo hoses,BMC CDA,Forge 007p,Neuspeed short shift gearlink,powerflow hidden cat back,miltek downpipe,R8 oil cap,HIDs,Custom Code stage 1,de badged,de wipered,FKcoilovers

In two minds

Status
    Only experianced BMC on Honda VTEC's so sorry I cant comment
    Skint because of my car, the forums made me do it

VAG HUNTER

Status
    i might be interested in it ed,for around 100 but wont be till after fri.pm me if interested in selling with the details of the kit,cheers bud
    A4 TDI S-LINE

Aky
    Aky

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mo
    so whats better then... The Carbonio or the BMC? I also have the Forge 007p DV. Would/ will you hear that at all through these?
    From what I gather the Carbonio filter sits somehwere near the front bumper low to the ground then a long pipe leading to the MAF. THe BMC must use a breather pipe from a similar place to the filter that sits next to the MAF. Not sure of other differences or which is better in terms of hydrolocking. You'll hear the DV dump the air more back into the system. Its not quite atmospheric dump but its close.

MOSES

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Aky
    From what I gather the Carbonio filter sits somehwere near the front bumper low to the ground then a long pipe leading to the MAF. THe BMC must use a breather pipe from a similar place to the filter that sits next to the MAF. Not sure of other differences or which is better in terms of hydrolocking. You'll hear the DV dump the air more back into the system. Its not quite atmospheric dump but its close.
    Think the idea fo having the filter so low to the ground is abit funny. I mean with all this rain were getting now i am sure there is more chance of it sucking up water and getting grubby fast
    I was thinking about getting the BMC.
    Ages ago when i had a corsa (yes i did have 1 lol) i had a Pipper Cross Viper on it which is sort of the same as the BMC i found that really good.

1.8t,AUM,Ming blue,Forge TIP,Forge silicone turbo hoses,BMC CDA,Forge 007p,Neuspeed short shift gearlink,powerflow hidden cat back,miltek downpipe,R8 oil cap,HIDs,Custom Code stage 1,de badged,de wipered,FKcoilovers

VAG HUNTER

Status
    is anyone else selling a bmc induction kit or similar.?
    A4 TDI S-LINE

Status
    Thanks guys, the item is now sold!

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danotto
    is anyone else selling a bmc induction kit or similar.?
    I'd like to swap my carbonio for a standard airbox, as I have the 3" downpipe, decat and FMIC, its just TOO loud with the Carbonio so I want to go quieter....

MOSES

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bayern
    I'd like to swap my carbonio for a standard airbox, as I have the 3" downpipe, decat and FMIC, its just TOO loud with the Carbonio so I want to go quieter....
    How did you find the Carbonio? Is it any thing like BMC CDA or is it diffrent?

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    I've never had a BMC, so cant do a direct comparison, but since my remap the Carbonio makes the car sound totally different.

Most people get in and ask if its the 3.2 as its so loud.

MOSES

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bayern
    I've never had a BMC, so cant do a direct comparison, but since my remap the Carbonio makes the car sound totally different.

Most people get in and ask if its the 3.2 as its so loud.
    Its not a chavvy sound is it?
    What car have you got Dave

Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Status
    Depends what you think chavvy is.

My car sounds totally different to 99% of 1.8T engined cars anyway as its had so many changes.

The Carbonio on a standard remap sounds nice, like a louder version of the standard car.