Cant wait to get my baby back

bouncer--daz

A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!
Reaction score
Basically back in december I had a minor incident which gutted me. Old git infront of me while coming to a junction slams on his brakes of his 4x4 at the last minute for no apparent reason when theres enough time for a bus too pull out at the junction let alone both of us... so in all fairness it was my own fault but still old people shouldnt be allowed to drive! The result of this was:

DSC00020.jpg

:keule: :puke2: :ohmy: :motz: :sorry: :crying: :sadlike: :wtf: ..... anyways

So after a few weeks of driving round in my spare fiesta and a f**king fiat panda that the insurance company gave me.... Im due to pick the car up tomorrow from the body shop hopefully looking all shiney and new thanks to mr insurance man... bye bye no claims but anyways had too do it even though it was only a minor lil scratch on the back of the old gits tank.

So too appologise to my poor baby im treating her too this lot:
DSC00051.jpg

Weitec Ultra GT 30mm suspension kit (http://www.dpmautostyling.co.uk)
Strut Bearings (Audi)
Strut Rubber Mountings (Audi)
ABR bushes (Audi)
Catalytic Converter (http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/
Dash facia (Audi)
7" flip out touch screen dvd HU & iso adaptops (halfords)
Radio Facia Adaptors (Audi)

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

So the car is booked in for a days work at my local mechanic for Tuesday so I should be a happy bunny after that

Btw if anyone is fitting an after market HU avoid the facia adaptors from Halfrauds like the clap... they are a f**kin terrible fit...buy the ones from an audi stealer... 100% better fit:icon_thumright:

Ohhh could you please let us know what you think of the Weitec suspension after you have had them fitted!?

Cheers

A3_Turbo said:
Is that a ripspeed touch screen you have there?

Yer its the new one out...I paid £200 for it but for some reason they have put the price back up!
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_265831_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_79855_crumb_31265-31338_parentcategoryrn_79855
wont be to every1's taste but while I was waiting for the car to be picked up to go too the body shop I couldnt wait and fitted it. I actually do like the unit. Looks smart... works well... great picture quality... good sound quality. I will just have to put it too the test of time on reliability. Bargin for the money though. My standard HU had the typical volume problem which was ******* me off way too much!

I will give a full review and make sure I do before and after pics with the suspension. One thing I will say is the delivery time was surprisingly quick...maybe 2days I think and customer service was spot on!:icon_thumright:

bouncer--daz said:
Yer its the new one out...I paid £200 for it but for some reason they have put the price back up!
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_265831_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_79855_crumb_31265-31338_parentcategoryrn_79855
wont be to every1's taste but while I was waiting for the car to be picked up to go too the body shop I couldnt wait and fitted it. I actually do like the unit. Looks smart... works well... great picture quality... good sound quality. I will just have to put it too the test of time on reliability. Bargin for the money though. My standard HU had the typical volume problem which was ******* me off way too much!

I will give a full review and make sure I do before and after pics with the suspension. One thing I will say is the delivery time was surprisingly quick...maybe 2days I think and customer service was spot on!:icon_thumright:

what is the typical volume problem?

Looks like a few cheeky mods there Daz. Let us know how the weitec kits goes. I think there's a few lads looking for reviews!

sainte986 said:
what is the typical volume problem?

The volume control on the standard HU's hav a bad habbit of f**king up. Mine would come on stupidly loud when you turned the ignition on:wtf: And wouldnt adjust properly. Was alot worst when it was cold aswell. Its a typical problem... if you do a search its been covered numerous times.:no:

The ripspeed head unit is a bit crap mate, fitted one in my mates bm. the front sticks out of the dash a fair bit, also its not very powerful.

The screen has been getting stuck lately when fliipin out so he had to help it out by pulling by hand and then it came out!

bouncer--daz said:
The volume control on the standard HU's hav a bad habbit of f**king up. Mine would come on stupidly loud when you turned the ignition on:wtf: And wouldnt adjust properly. Was alot worst when it was cold aswell. Its a typical problem... if you do a search its been covered numerous times.:no:
Is it something to watch out for with certain headunits, something that can be easy spotted on a viewing?

Or is it something a sunroof would help, when you hit the roof?

Well its quite simple to look for... just turn the radio on and try to adjust the volume... if it doesnt adjust properly the hu in therefore got the same problem. Not a major issue... just means buying a new HU.

As for the ripspeed HU... i know there were alot of problems with the DV710 but ive bought the DV720 which is the newer version which Im hoping wont have the same issues.

Old one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_270431_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_79855_crumb_31265-31338_parentcategoryrn_79855

New one:

Agree the Ripspeed DV710 is a bit crap has some nice features though, i paid 400 for it a few years ago when it first came out!

I'll be getting an Alpine dvd soon though me thinks!

Jason

Got my baby back this evening... picked her up in the dark tho so couldnt take any photos. She will then be spending the day in another garage tomorrow get all the new parts fitted then I will have to spend abit of time tomorrow evening fitting the HU. But it was so nice driving her again 2nite compared too the fiesta and panda ive been stuck with over the last month!

Really looking forward to the review on the suspension!

i'd quite like to see what the new hu looks like

Well i will post pics when its all done later... the suspension kit is on with new bearings and rubber mounts and ARB bushes... and the car is handling like new! so far so good... feels firm... smooth... comfortable very happy so far.
Heres the results of the repair work... this is 1st thing this morning before the kit was fitted:
DSC00156.jpg

Im happy. Please note that this is will the standard shocks and springs. Im happy with the work done.

Heres the pics of the HU installed... took a while to get it how I wanted because as stated above by Emmo the HU can stick out quite far but thats if you just shove it straight in. After abit of playing round and modifying the facia adaptors I bought from audi with a dremel I was able to make the HU sit 5-10mm deeper into the dash. Im happy with the results. The HU surround is therefore now flush with the dash:
PICT0036.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

alrite mate! quick question. Is it hard to take off the dash surround? i was gona take it off as well as the gear shift surround scrape it, and paint it piano black. Also do the same to the window switch surround. i have the workshop manual (ELSAWIN) however i cant find any pages for tips on removal.

No its not hard at all.... open the ash tray.... theres one screw holding that in place... undo that then unplug the fag lighter and other connections. Behind there is then 2 torx bolts... undo them quickly then pull the surround away carefully from the bottom. Its just held by a few clips.

bouncer--daz said:
No its not hard at all.... open the ash tray.... theres one screw holding that in place... undo that then unplug the fag lighter and other connections. Behind there is then 2 torx bolts... undo them quickly then pull the surround away carefully from the bottom. Its just held by a few clips.
cheers mate:icon_thumright: u got ur suspension onit yet?