Windows stopped working??

p14va

Reaction score
Hi guys,
My windows have recently stopped rolling up and down?? what the hells wrong!!

also, I replaced the drivers door lock module today as the microswitch in the old one was shot, but whenever I press the lock button on the drivers door panel, all the rest of the locks work but not the drivers side??

Any help!! thanks.

Daft question perhaps, but have they stopped rolling up and down completely or is it just that they don't go all the way up or down on a quick 'flick' of the switch? If it's the latter you need to put them all the way up (holding the switch), release it, and then hold the switch in the up position again - after a second or so you'll hear a click and the 'automatic' functionality will be restored.

If it's the former we'll have to come up with plan B!

Regards,

Rob.

Again might be a daft question... But in case Plan B is needed... (and the windows are completely non-functional)... Have you checked the fuses?

Regards,

Rob.

FactionOne said:
Again might be a daft question... But in case Plan B is needed... (and the windows are completely non-functional)... Have you checked the fuses?

Regards,

Rob.
lol yea they dont work at all!!

I shall check the fuses shortly but what else are the windows connected to? i.e. the convenience module ?

The reason I ask is that the drivers door lock button by the windows button also doesn't lock the drivers door but locks the rest, so could this also be related?

IIRC the 'Central Convenience' module isn't present on 8L A3s; perhaps on later model ones but I'm still not sure about that.

As far as I know the windows are effectively 'dumb' with no communication to the outside world so-to-speak.

In terms of the door-looking button, I'd guess that's probably a 'dumb' circuit too; but if anything it'll be managed by module 35 (Central Locking).

Time for more daft questions...

Both windows are failing to operate right? And they don't respond to either switch? You can't operate either window using the driver's-side switches, or operate the passenger-window with its own switch on the passenger door?

Assuming the fuses are OK, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps as the passenger-window can be operated from the driver's-side it's possible that the two switches are wired in series; and the fact that neither switch can operate the window means perhaps you've got a connection problem (loose/shorted etc.) on the multi-pin plug on the driver's-side window switches? I guess maybe even a damaged cable in the trunking that runs from the hinged-end of the door to the body? (Although I'd say that's probably less likely).

...The same thing might also be affecting the door-lock switch?

Regards,

Rob.

This happened to my S3, stripped the doors down and wiggled the swtiches then suddenly they worked. Been fine since, well strange

FactionOne said:
IIRC the 'Central Convenience' module isn't present on 8L A3s; perhaps on later model ones but I'm still not sure about that.

As far as I know the windows are effectively 'dumb' with no communication to the outside world so-to-speak.

In terms of the door-looking button, I'd guess that's probably a 'dumb' circuit too; but if anything it'll be managed by module 35 (Central Locking).

Time for more daft questions...

Both windows are failing to operate right? And they don't respond to either switch? You can't operate either window using the driver's-side switches, or operate the passenger-window with its own switch on the passenger door?

Assuming the fuses are OK, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps as the passenger-window can be operated from the driver's-side it's possible that the two switches are wired in series; and the fact that neither switch can operate the window means perhaps you've got a connection problem (loose/shorted etc.) on the multi-pin plug on the driver's-side window switches? I guess maybe even a damaged cable in the trunking that runs from the hinged-end of the door to the body? (Although I'd say that's probably less likely).

...The same thing might also be affecting the door-lock switch?

Regards,

Rob.

Hi, ok I checked the fuse its fine.

However, when I get in and start the car the windows are working fine and I can see the red lights on them power up .... BUT ... as soon as I open the drivers door and close it again the power to them goes...??? loose connection somehwere??