Tuning Question

Grant

Reaction score
Most of us know about remapping etc. but does anyone know about using products such as an electronic boost controller such as an Apexi AVC-R?

apexi10.jpg

Dont know about that but companies like revo do sps1, 2, or 3 which can change boost from standard to chipped. APR does it similar but through the cruise control stalk and a thing jabba does a boost controller but not really looked into them as nearest dealer is miles awa fyom me.

mark

ABD Racing in the States have used boost controllers on their 1.8T project cars for a little while now. Haven't heard of any major drawbacks, but I still think you'd get more out of a full remap vs the boost controller. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry couldn't be more help.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mark has kindly taken the time to send me this info, hope you find it useful

The Apexi AVC-R is a digital actuator control. It hooks in to the ECU and controls the actuator based on readings from the ECU. These readings can
include:

Injector Duty
RPM
Gear (not sure where it gets this reading from, I haven't hooked it up yet)
Speed
Throttle %
It will show graphs/dials for duty, throttle %, boost (bar) etc... and lets you control exactly how, when and how much boost you use.

Example:
My Rover 220 tubby boosts at about 0.7 bar as standard, from 2200rpm to 6500rpm.This IMO is not a nice way to boost... I can get full boost at just over 2000rpm in first! that's just not safe (and certainly doesn't do acceleration any favours when you're standing still)!! So what I've done is altered settings so that the boost comes in at about 0.3bar at 2000rpm (the Apexi lets you control in ranges of 500rpm), gradually increasing to 0.9 bar at 4500rpm.I get far more traction this way. Ideally I'd hook up the gear sensor and speed sensor so that I could use these to ensure full boost came in earlier in higher gears, but for now it's fine.

I should also point out that while the Apexi will control boost up to 2bar(IIRC), that may not be safe for your top/bottom ends. It is however, better than a bleed valve in that it doesn't cause pinking

There are lots of funky toys to play with - peak readings etc... and the graph allows you to see readings from a few seconds ago, so you don't have to spot a change in reading immediately as with a regular boost guage. You also have the ability to save 2 different settings, one for daily driving and one for track, for example.. plus there's always "Off" to turn it off.

Installation is relatively simple... there's just a few wires to hook into your ECU (soldering), and a few other things to go under your bonnet. There's plenty of cable to mount the apexi anywhere inside your car that you fancy too (I have about 10ft of the stuff tucked behind my centre console).

All in all, a very cool toy
There are a couple of pics of what we did under the bonnet, and how it was mounted, here:
http://www.appointmentmanager.co.uk/photos/RoverCoupe/Apexi

HTH guys

Mark

Cheers for the info Mark... much appreciated!

A cheaper option may be Jabbasport's "Unique Electronic Boost Controller" - and it's only £115.

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
A cheaper option may be Jabbasport's "Unique Electronic Boost Controller" - and it's only £115.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grant, As far as I know, the Jabbasport controller only lets you reduce boost below what you have set as the ECU's maximum.
Wolfie (G60 LTD) also has a Mk2 with an S3 engine and he's got one...perhaps he'll be able to let you know more at the next Aberdeen Club GTI meet?

Some of you seem to be suggesting the Apexi AVC-R as an alternative to a remapped/chip, but what you've got to understand is that all it does is control the actuator, hence the boost. However what it doesn't do is alter the fueling or ignition timing.

So although you can increase the boost you can't increase the fuel to match, I'd expect that if you used it on a standard A3/S3 all that would happen is the ECU would go into limp home mode as soon as it detected boost above the levels that it would normally allow. If it didn't and the air/fuel ratio was to lean you could cause some serious damage to your engine.

Apexi also make the S-AFC which you can use to control the fueling. This works by reading and adjusting signals from the MAF sensor and allows you to increase the fueling (within the limitations of the standard ECU), but as this needs to be set up on a rolling road it'd probably be cheaper to get your car chipped/remapped.

My mate actually has an Apexi AVC-R and it is a very useful piece of kit especially if your car is struggling for traction in the lower gears, as it allows you to bleed off that bit off boost in 1st and 2nd gear to allow you to get away from the line more cleanly. However I'm not sure how much use it'd be if your not really having any traction problems.