Volks AutosChris Nott

Thread: Alternator Gone

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status

Question Alternator Gone

Hi guys, ok well my car packed up on me yesterday. Lost all electrical power and stopped on me. After charging the car with the AA man it would only drive like a mile before switching of again. So first obvious problem was the alternator (especially since this hasn't been replaced). What I wanted to is is can I just order the alternator kit from Audi and get my local garage to fit it? If so do I need to order any new wires or connections for the alternator or would all the bits I need come supplied with the new alternator?

One more thing, any idea how much a new alternator is? Cheers
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Bosch 120amp should be about £180-£220, or you can get exchange units for a lot less. Don't order it from Audi as it will be twice the price and it's just a Bosch unit, Audi don't make alternators.
    You won't need anything else, maybe the belt would be worth changing at the same time.

thats me

Status
    you can find places that repair alernators , I think there is one near Leeds/Dewsbury called alternate.
    red to red black to black blue to bits

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status
    I work in parts trade mate, I can source you an alternator if need be... Just PM me..

2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status
    Cheers for the feedback
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status
    Ok I'm in the process of ordering a new Alternator, just wanted to check if this is the right one:

AUDI A3 ALTERNATOR - 1800
    Vehicle Year of Manufacture: 96-02,
    Rating: 120Amp,
    D+ & W terminals

http://www.vehicle-electrics-online....html?flypage=0

Audi S3-BAM

Pat
    3rd Gear

Status
    How much!!! lol

2002 S3, Project 400, New Build In Progress, I.E 2.0 stoker kit, Big Port AGU Head, Ferrea Valves retainers, springs etc, GT30 compact, Pagparts Manifold, AH Front Mount Version 2, Genesis 550cc Injectors, 044 Fuel pump in I.E Surge Tank, Revo Stage 3 Software, Porsche Brakes, work in progress

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status
    £147.74 lol.

Audi S3-BAM

1st Gear

Status

My alternator gone too

Well i just been quoted Ł300+vat inc labour to replace my alternator. I see on euro carparts its Ł167.20. Apparently he only likes to fit genuine audi parts (210+vat).

Does that sound right?!
    2009 S3 8P Phantom Black
    MODS : S3 Keyring

1st Gear

Status
    Dont buy an altonator mine went the other day and you can replace the bushes and important gizmos in a box that just bolts on top for about Ł40 good as new. look in a hynes manual!!!
    The light that burns twice as bright , burns half as long.

1st Gear

Status
    Been there done that. If you're going to replace the insides, make sure you do a proper job or you'll just end up buying another one at some stage and wasting money.

I learned the hard way, buy cheap, buy twice.

Oil running through my veins.

Status
    Dudes, half the "genuwine" parts that you get at the main dealer, are exactly the same from Euro's or GSF etc.. just get the best one, for example, Bosch, LUK, Sachs etc etc.. if you call up any VAG parts desk they all use these brands, but just put the VAG stamp on it.

You can get your old alternator brushes refurbed for cheap - have a look into this.
    Totally addicted to boost.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Boro&Beth View Post
    Been there done that. If you're going to replace the insides, make sure you do a proper job or you'll just end up buying another one at some stage and wasting money.

I learned the hard way, buy cheap, buy twice.

Nothing inside the alternator needs replacing its called the brush holder/ regulator module and its a 5 min job once the alternator is off the car, SIMPLES! When i bought the part it had HC CAR GO written on the box and i thought mmmm not good , when i got it out the box it had BOSH written on it . So you guys go ahead and waste your money if you like, I'm only telling you why the alternator is so exspensive from new... because it can be seviced .
    The light that burns twice as bright , burns half as long.

1st Gear

Status
    Does the S3 alternator not have diodes?