Volks AutosChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Unhappy S3 handling problem - suspected anti-roll bar "insert" + shocks

Hi,

After carrying what was probably too heavy a load a while back (don't ask) my car hasn't been handling right since. There has been too much body roll on bumpy roads and it hasn't been tight going around corners.

So I took it into Fontains to get it checked out and just had a phone call to say both rear shocks need replacing (250) and also the anti roll bar "inserts" are cracked and also need replacing (another 250 fitted...)

That last price seems a bit steep. I'm presuming they are talking about arb bushes. What else is there that could be costing this much?

Dave

2. # ADS
    ADS

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    The arb bushes would not be £250, they're more like £30-£40 for the nuespeed ones. As for a new arb then they're around £250, but why do your rear shocks need replacing?
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

Aky
    Aky

Status
    sounds like a great excuse to sort out the handling with some decent suspension components!

2nd Gear

Status
    you need to stop picking up fat burds lol

rite.. I would take the car straight back from the dealers, order up some shocks from your local motor factors.. approx 100 will see 2 shocks.. I just had a quick check on the Eurocarparts.com website.. and they come up with

REAR SHOCK ABSORBER AUDI TT COUPE QUATTRO -12.99
    Upto Cha 8NY-120000 51.84

A garage will charge you max 1 hours labour to fit them.

Also.. ARB bushes should be about 25 - 30 to get sorted

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the info

I spoke to the garage again yesterday afternoon. They are saying it is in fact the whole ARB that needs replacing. They said this is 50 plus two hours labour.
    Given that they are doing the shocks at the same time, this seems a bit high for the labour time to me.