Is it my wastegate I can hear

JamesA3

Reaction score
when I lift of the throttle I can hear a very quite woosh noise which I have heard on other cars and was told its the wastegate is this correct?

thats what it sounds like but I haven't fitted a DV, do they come as standard on 1.8T's

are they recirculating then rather than atmospheric?

Yes it is recirculate. If it is atmospheric (some of them are from aftermarket), then your car will lose power.

Audi's have recirculating valves. DV in this case meaning Diverter Valve rather than Dump Valve.

A couple of people on here are running asmospheric dump valves although it has been argued that it is not good for the car and therefore not recommended!

I only went to use "Mobil 1" engine oil as it was recommended by Forge to service their DV's.

Will get some of the grease you guys mentioned and give that a try at the weekend...................cheers!

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
I only went to use "Mobil 1" engine oil as it was recommended by Forge to service their DV's.

Will get some of the grease you guys mentioned and give that a try at the weekend...................cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, the actual service instructions from Forge specify Mobil 1 Grease, which is either a typo by them or there is actually a Mobil 1 grease, but I don't know of one without looking on the web.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

on my old S3, you could hear the air being released by the DV back into the airbox a lot more than the standard S3...

This was due to when the garage replaced my wing and them not doing a proper job by refitting the sound proofing on the inner wing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Guys

Had a look on the Mobil 1 site - indeed they do do a Mobil 1 Synthetic Universal Grease..

[ QUOTE ]
"....All Mobil 1 products, just like Mobil 1 motor oil, protect hardworking parts from temperature extremes, rust and wear. In fact, the same synthetic technology found in our motor oil is used in our fully synthetic grease.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Universal Grease provides excellent protection against rust, corrosion and water washout. It's suited for wheel bearings, ball joint suspensions, steering linkages, and king pin and chassis lube points.

Benefits:

Excellent resistance to rust and corrosion.
Good shock-loading protection.
Excellent resistance to water washout.
Outstanding lubrication over a wide temperature range.

Applications: Recommended for automotive applications at both high and low temperatures. It will provide outstanding protection where moisture or condensation are factors...."

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a link to the Product Data Sheet for Mobil 1 Grease

Tone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Tone, thx for looking Dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Saved me a job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

WAK on the TT forums has some of this Mobil 1 grease in tubes for sale.

NOT cheap mind you. He could only source it from US and got stung by vat/customs.