Sky InsuranceBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Steering noise, anyone?

Hi, just noticed an intermittent knocking while driving over uneven surfaces. I think it's coming from the steering because when I stop the car, and give the st/wheel a bit of a turn, I hear the same noise when I release the wheel - notably only when I release hold of it. It seems to be below and up front. There is a bit of play in the st/wheel also which I'm not sure should be there. It's not the suspension, I had new wishbones and bushes done in october. Anyone know of this problem? Thanks
    Last edited by xeryus; 10th January 2008 at 16:43.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    i had a similar problem - knocking from underneath - check the universal joint (in steering column) for play. also did you change your arb bushes? that made a vast improvement on mine
    i also had a kind of vague / light feeling when the wheel was near centre and also ended up changing my steering rack which solved that.
    hope this helps.
    dean

Reverse Gear

Status
    Did you do the work yourself? I'm no mechanic I'm afraid. Thanks for those pointers, I wasn't sure what had been done exactly, other than wishbones and bushes. None of what you mentioned I don't think. Anyway, it has just been MOTd today and I've got a written advisory.

Nearside and offside front suspension joint has slight deterioration of the bonding between metal and flexible material of an upper support bearing.

I don't know what this is though, what is it in layman's terms? And does it explain the knocking I mentioned? Also, it says there's a cv joint gaiter wants replacing.

Just adding that I haven't spoken to anyone at the garage yet.

Reverse Gear

Status
    i didnt do the work myself - a friend of mine did it for me. upper support bearing sounds like the top strut mounts to me. if these wear they will cause a knocking sound as there is play in them.
    i believe a joint gaiter is just like a cover over a joint to keep out the elements - if this is gone im guessing the joint will dry out, wear and start knocking.
    bear in mind im no expert. when i had problems with mine i just searched around on here and read up on what seems to be endless things that could potentially cause extremely annoying knocking sounds from suspension / steering racks etc. i also seemed to get the impression that steering racks are a weak point on audi's.
    good luck with fixing it,
    dean

thats me

Status
    CV Joints normally only knock on full lock.
    red to red black to black blue to bits

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yeah, it's knocking with just a small movement - but on release only.