Steering noise, anyone?

xeryus

Reaction score
Hi, just noticed an intermittent knocking while driving over uneven surfaces. I think it's coming from the steering because when I stop the car, and give the st/wheel a bit of a turn, I hear the same noise when I release the wheel - notably only when I release hold of it. It seems to be below and up front. There is a bit of play in the st/wheel also which I'm not sure should be there. It's not the suspension, I had new wishbones and bushes done in october. Anyone know of this problem? Thanks

i had a similar problem - knocking from underneath - check the universal joint (in steering column) for play. also did you change your arb bushes? that made a vast improvement on mine
i also had a kind of vague / light feeling when the wheel was near centre and also ended up changing my steering rack which solved that.
hope this helps.
dean:salute:

Did you do the work yourself? I'm no mechanic I'm afraid. Thanks for those pointers, I wasn't sure what had been done exactly, other than wishbones and bushes. None of what you mentioned I don't think. Anyway, it has just been MOTd today and I've got a written advisory.

Nearside and offside front suspension joint has slight deterioration of the bonding between metal and flexible material of an upper support bearing.

I don't know what this is though, what is it in layman's terms? And does it explain the knocking I mentioned? Also, it says there's a cv joint gaiter wants replacing.

Just adding that I haven't spoken to anyone at the garage yet.

i didnt do the work myself - a friend of mine did it for me. upper support bearing sounds like the top strut mounts to me. if these wear they will cause a knocking sound as there is play in them.
i believe a joint gaiter is just like a cover over a joint to keep out the elements - if this is gone im guessing the joint will dry out, wear and start knocking.
bear in mind im no expert. when i had problems with mine i just searched around on here and read up on what seems to be endless things that could potentially cause extremely annoying knocking sounds from suspension / steering racks etc. i also seemed to get the impression that steering racks are a weak point on audi's.
good luck with fixing it,
dean

Yeah, it's knocking with just a small movement - but on release only.