Haldex Oil Changed When?

A3Quat-tro

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just a quick question... How di I know if when my Haldex Oil was changed? I've got a 51 plate A3 with 51000 and 4 Longlife services but no mention of it I just assume it has been done!

Thanks.

It should be changed every 20k and the filter changed every 40k but dont assume its been done. It should be marked in the service book as extra work c/o at 20k and 40k boxes

Its not something thats automaticaly done either, you have to specifically ask for it to be done, or rely on them telling you that it needs to be done and agreeing to it.

bazza s3 said:
is it an easy job to do yourself??

Id say no, from memory the plug is ontop of the haldex unit and the oil is thinner than Kate Moss, it can easily become a messy and annoying job, deffo need a ramp for it imo

The oil change is straighforward enough, I just reverse mine onto a pair of ramps and there is enough space to do what you need to do. The drain plug is easily accessible. To refill, just put the cartridge in a standard gun, and if you find there isn't enough space to insert the nozzle vertically, just bend the plastic nozzle through 90 degrees. As said, the oil is very thin, and it goes in easily. Whip out the nozzle and reinsert the drain plug sharpish and job done.

Changing the filter is trickier, but with a £7 tool off ebay and a socket set is again perfectly doable with the car on ramps or axle stands. Access is a pain, but not too bad once you've worked out where the filter is!

It's well worth doing yourself to save the £70+ labour charge, and at least you know its been done properly!

the ease of the job is all in the capabillities of the person doing it.

if you have done a std oil change with filter and plugs id say you can do the haldex oil.