question about MAFs

Jay

Reaction score
A few days ago I started having problems when accelerating The engine management light came on so decided to get it checked it out. Had the fault scanned and was told I needed a new MAF. Mechanic has offered to fit a reconditioned one from an A4 for £50. Thing is mine is an 8L A3 turbo.

Question is will this work just as well as the original or am I better off spending a bit more and getting a proper one for an A3? or does it not make a difference?

thanks

I would splash out on an new one mate, recon one won't last IMO, just spend the £80 and at the very least, you have 12months warranty.

If I was to have the reconditoned A4 one fitted would there be a difference in performance? or are all MAFs the same meaning one off an S3 could be fitted to an A3 and vice versa, with no loss of performance?

Also where's the best place to get a new MAF? Stealers quoted £135 and also wanted the old one.

thanks

£135 sounds like they are taking the ****

£80 is what I paid for my MAF from Newbury Audi, I'm supposed to give them my old one but I still have it at the mo. If I give it to them they will give me £20 back for it.

Don't get a recon one from an A4 not worth it. Get a proper OEM one from the stealer.

Jay said:
If I was to have the reconditoned A4 one fitted would there be a difference in performance? or are all MAFs the same meaning one off an S3 could be fitted to an A3 and vice versa, with no loss of performance?

Also where's the best place to get a new MAF? Stealers quoted £135 and also wanted the old one.

thanks

It should be £80 exchange with your old part, change it yourself man, it takes 10 minutes tops with a philips screwdriver! Do it in their capark if you have to!!

i just replaced mine few weeks ago. Audi quoted me £72. GSF quoted me £90 and £30 discount if i return my old one. i bought the MAF from GSF and changed the part myself along with my dad, whereas audi quoted over £150 for labour costs, and it only took me 10 mins to change and i gave my old one back to GSF and got £30 back. if you need help or instructions on how to replace the MAF let me know. il give you step by step instructions from Audi A3 Haynes Repair & Service Manual

Haha! If you need help to change the maf...........er you need help!! Its so simple even a monkey could do it!! You just need to check you have the right tool to undo the screws, I ahve seen phillips in some and torx in others, but halfrauds will sell you a torx bit to do it no worries.

£150 labour to change a maf is absolutely hillarious! I would love to accept that offer, stick a hidden camera on the car and vido them doing it! See how they like the publicity when they end up on Rogue Traders!! LOL It would be worth the £150 to stitch them up! !!

Thanks for the advice but still unclear on whether a MAF fitted from another model would affect performance.

Base it on the part number, if it is the same part number than it will be fine. If it is a different part number than I would be wary as it may mean different sizes, screw holes, electric connection etc. In terms of 'performance' there is no uprated MAF to purchase and you can still disconnect the MAF and drive it around; as it just measures Air Flow and is not like nitrous or anything.

Id personally never be tempted with just the sensor not in the unit, seen so many of thsoe types fail (which shouldnt make a difference but I guess more easily damaged in transit?)

And a VW/Audi one should be about 65quid including VAT really, too much more than that and its not right

simch said:
Haha! If you need help to change the maf...........er you need help!! Its so simple even a monkey could do it!! You just need to check you have the right tool to undo the screws, I ahve seen phillips in some and torx in others, but halfrauds will sell you a torx bit to do it no worries.

£150 labour to change a maf is absolutely hillarious! I would love to accept that offer, stick a hidden camera on the car and vido them doing it! See how they like the publicity when they end up on Rogue Traders!! LOL It would be worth the £150 to stitch them up! !!

Thats a bit off colour really, just because someone might not be confident enough to change something on thier car doesnt mean you have to slate them over it. I know lots of people who would rather not get invovled under their bonnet so they use dealers facilitys.

Tho I do like the idea of a monkey fitting them, and if they overcharged too then you could get them on a new spin off show, Rogue Monkey Traders - "When you pay more than peanuts"