High pitched squeal..when turning?

GibletsS3

Reaction score
Firstly happy new year chaps.

Right then, as a xmas present from my car it has decided to give me some sort of high pitched squeal that affects the car when turning the wheel.
It is most noticeable at start up / low speeds (although this may be because the engine sound drowns it out at higher revs). At first I thought it was the wheels rubbing on the inside of the wheel arch but after turning the wheels and having a look clearance looks fine. So it must be the engine...

Apart from that the car seems to run fine in a straight line.

I had the cambelt changed about three months ago.........

Appreciate any help.

I had a similar problem a month or so ago. Turned out to be the Alternator pulley bearings on there way out. Check it out, and if it is get it sorted asap, quite a cheap fix. Mine let go along with the alternator belt when I was approaching home. Luckily I limped it home without power steering which was scary but I made it without no problems and any further damage.

Check your power steering fluid levels. Had the same problem with the squealing and the fluid just needed topping up. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45945

Take off the cover on the left hand side (washer bottle side) underneath is a dark green cap with the steering wheel sign, check out the levels and top up if necessary.

The fluid costs £8 and can be got from any VAG dealer.

If you do have to top up once you have done so replace the cap and then turn the engine on and do a couple of full steering locks too either side to help is settle in, go for a spin and then check again to make sure.

Cheers