S3 Armrest fitting problems, what a pain...

Maz

Reaction score
I managed to purchase a leather armrest in mint condition off eBay over xmas minus the bracket for £49 and have since picked up the bracket direct from Audi. The only trouble is having spent the best part of two hours trying to install it I am losing the plot and wondering whether I have the correct bracket or maybe I need to try again in the morning once I have calmed down!!!

The damn bracket does not sit right for love or money... first of all there isn’t enough clearance for the left nut to be screwed on tight enough and how the hell do you secure the other two bolts???

Come on guys one of you must have retrofitted it and if so do you have the part number for the bracket so I can double check mine against yours? Are all the brackets identical or is there a difference between older and later model cars??? Mine is a 2001 S3 btw.

Help would be much appreciated.

I seem to think there is a difference between facelift and prefacelift arm rests mate, not 100% sure but i think ive read it somewhere

Sorry, im useless!

Audi only list one part number for this bracket as far as I can see.

8LO 864 283 B and that is definitely the correct number for a 2001 model.

Looking at the exploded parts diagram it may be easier if you remove the rear ashtray and the two bolts under it. This will allow you to lift the center console a little to gain access to the from two fixings?

The Parts catalog does also list 1J0 711 354 - Adaptor for models with center armrest. I'm guessing that you don't have this part and this may be why things are not lining up properly.

HTH

marms said:
Audi only list one part number for this bracket as far as I can see.

8LO 864 283 B and that is definitely the correct number for a 2001 model.

Looking at the exploded parts diagram it may be easier if you remove the rear ashtray and the two bolts under it. This will allow you to lift the center console a little to gain access to the from two fixings?

The Parts catalog does also list 1J0 711 354 - Adaptor for models with center armrest. I'm guessing that you don't have this part and this may be why things are not lining up properly. HTH

Thanks Marms, thats exactly what I have done. The bracket is correct although the adaptor part you mention is something I dont have. What does it look like? and where does it go? I will have to pop back in to Audi Parts again today to see what I can do.

...Job done what a relief. I now have extra storage space and a bit more comfort for those long journeys!!

The adaptor did the trick for about £3.

well done. No need to answer your previous question now.
I thought that might be the answer when you said you got the rest without the bracket.